Chapter Eleven - Mr Withand

Anna met Roger Withand two days after the dance in Hyde Park.

She and Mrs Cosgrove were walking, the weather being fine and each of them dressed in new clothes. Hers was a white dress with cream trim, corded with embroidered tassels. It was a filmy sort of dress and swished beautifully with every step. 

As per Mrs Cosgrove's plan, they happened across Mr Angus Chedwick, a rather nervous man to whom she was introduced at the presentation ball. Not per Mrs Cosgrove's plan - but definitely in line with her hopes - he was in the company of a man that Anna did not know.

She had not found many young men at the presentation ball. At least, none who showed any desire to speak with her.  Mr Haversham was the youngest, if one could even guess at his age. But while his age remained a mystery, the rest were most certainly older. Men not quite of her father's age but close.

It did not matter for her purposes, of course. But here was someone with a fresh unlined face and easy movements, dressed in black trousers and a black suit coat. Polished shoes without heels and a slightly crumpled cravat.

He was looking at a piece of paper when they approached, something written all over in black ink, and he did not look up until he heard Mr Chedwick say his name. And then he was startled, raised his head with his thoughts many miles away, nodded hastily and almost impolitely to Mrs Cosgrove, and shifted his attention with equal haste to her.  It was quite obvious that he would then make another nod and withdraw his attention to the paper again.

It did not happen that way. His preoccupied eyes met hers and he froze.  

She watched as the paper lost its hold on him. As he blinked, and nodded, and stammered rather awkwardly that he had missed her name and was very sorry.

Anna smiled and felt sudden kinship.

"Miss Rosewood." Mr Chedwick repeated firmly, as if his friend was embarrassing him. "May I introduce Mr Roger Withand. Please forgive him his poor manners, he is in town on business and has spent the day at the chambers."

Was there anything to forgive? "I do understand," she assured him. "Are you staying in town for much longer?"

He had not looked away for a second, a pair of grey eyes reading - or trying to read - everything about her that could be gleaned by looking intently into hers. And while it was disconcerting, it was also quite flattering. 

"No - well, maybe another fortnight," he said, still distracted.

"Another fortnight?" There was surprise in Mr Chedwick's tone. "I thought you had just another few days! I may have a chance to show you around yet."

Mr Withand pulled his gaze from her and nodded in his friend's general direction, looking more at the ground than anywhere else. He fixed an appropriately vague expression on his face. "Yes, there probably will be time." 

"In that case," Mrs Cosgrove said warmly, "Pray come and see us in Baron Street. Mr Chedwick will no doubt be visiting again."

It was the wrong time to smile. Anna bit the inside of her lip, but they twitched anyway, just as Mr Withand looked back at her.  He smiled back and nodded, as if he did not know what to say.

"Come." Mrs Cosgrove reached her arm for Anna's.  "Let us walk on."

They left the gentlemen behind.

"Do you know, I think that young man found you to his liking." Mrs Cosgrove squeezed her arm and gave her a close look. "I will ask around."

And this, Anna thought with great satisfaction, is exactly how the season should work.