Chapter Ten - A Dance

Nothing was as expected.

The Prince Regent was not as expected. He was older and slower. His courtiers were not as expected. They were bored, shuttered and apathetic. And older than she'd expected. The festivity was not as expected - it was too loud, too crowded and too forced.

But everything else was just grand. The music was wonderful, the lights were just right, the halls were ornate and intricate all at once. And society was brighter, sleeker, healthier and more sophisticated than she had ever imagined. 

What could she tell Papa about the Prince Regent? The truth was, he was not very tall but quite wide in the girth, and his eyes were the weariest thing she had seen in any human being. But he was of distinctly genteel appearance and every procedure in the room displayed reverence and distinction. 

"He was impressed with this little lady," Lord Holloway said complacently to his wife. "Did you see? He gave her his full attention."

That was going a little too far, but the Holloways were pleased and Mrs Cosgrove was gratified to no small degree by her friends' approval. All was well. 

Other young ladies approached his majesty, dressed in finery, most of them a few years younger than she and displaying an unnerving decorum. Two gentlemen that Lord Holloway pointed out as senior members of parliament came to speak a few words to the Prince. The Duke of Allwood came, with his wife and a brightly dressed young man who stood constantly on his toes and fidgeted with his fingers behind his back. They all seemed on intimate terms with the royal party.

Mrs Cosgrove waited half an hour and Anna stood quietly by her side, but finally it was time to leave the inner chamber. They left the distinguished people behind and went to the ballroom. Dancers filled the floor. 

They made their way round the room and came face to face with the gentleman from the Edinburgh wharf. 

For a second he displayed consternation. Then he bowed to them politely. "Evening, Miss Rosewood, Mrs Cosgrove."

Anna had not realised how friendless the hall felt till she heard him speak. His voice conjured memories of that moment on the dock when she realised how decent and kind-hearted he was. 

"We meet again in a very different situation,"  she said with a warm smile, forgetting entirely that they had not been introduced. "It is good to see a familiar face."

He seemed to be searching for words for a second before saying. "Looking well, Miss Rosewood. Have you danced?"

"Not yet." Anna looked out at the floor where couples in magnificent clothes were swirling competently in unison. "I've been taught how, but it looks much bigger than I expected." Her eyes opened wide and she wondered if she had said the right thing. What kind of provincial would he think her now? Would she make matters worse if she tried to correct the impression?

He blinked, a smile lighting his face just for a second. But it was clearly not habitual and he resumed his usual polite expression. Still, there was less reserve in his voice when he said decidedly. "Should dance. If you are free the next, I'd ..... be honoured." It seemed not to be an easy thing for him to ask.

Anna answered that she was free and took his card. He left and she turned to Mrs Cosgrove who took the card from her limp fingers.

"My dear! This is an auspicious beginning!" Her excitement was palpable. "I was sure I knew him from somewhere. I collect you are already acquainted with this man?"

"I ..." Anna paused. "We exchanged words at the docks in Edinburgh. He came off the ship that I was boarding, but really, I do not know him at all."

Mrs Cosgrove's eyes gleamed with curiosity. "I see. Well, he is eminently respectable, Anna. A confirmed bachelor, mind. There is no point in expecting further from him than a dance, but his acquaintance will do you no harm. No harm at all." 

She handed the card back to Anna who finally looked at it. The Honourable Peregrine Haversham. 

"What do I call him?" she asked, wondering that a man with whom she felt comfortable should be titled.

"Mr Haversham, of course." Mrs Cosgrove raised an eyebrow, as if in surprise. "Now, mind you are polite. You may not have another opportunity to meet this man. We wish him to be able to commend you, however casually, if the situation were to arise." 

They found seats. Dancers stepped and turned and lifted their arms all around with a grace she unlikely to ever come to her.

Miss Theresa Monteagle twirled past with a stunning black-haired young man. They were an eye-catching sight. She caught sight of Lady Helena Dareby next, partnered to a red-haired man who looked heartily bored whenever she was not looking at him.  

When the time came, Anna stayed silent as Mr Haversham led her out to the floor.  It was the only way to ensure she said nothing wrong.

"Not going to eat you," he said, looking at her in that reassuring way he had.

Anna laughed, her fears and Mrs Cosgrove's advice vanishing together. "No, I'm sure you will not. Do I look worried? Mrs Cosgrove is always chiding me for it. I don't wish to seem uncultured."

The look he gave her was full of understanding. "Not as bad as that."  He added thoughtfully, "M'sister was worse."

The thought arose that his sister may not have needed to care, but she suppressed that worrying sentiment firmly. "Poor girl," she said sympathetically. "Is she greatly improved now?"

Mr Haversham took a while to think it through. "More confident," he said at last.

Another laugh bubbled up inside her, but Anna managed to restrain it to a smile. "Oh dear! Are you close to your sister?"

He looked as though he had never considered the matter. "She's m'sister."

Mr Haversham imparted an impressive amount of information in each few words. "I don't have any sisters," she said finally. "Or brothers either."

Her words seemed to turn his train of thought. He gave her an inquiring look. "Rosewood?"

Anna smiled. "Everyone seems to have met my grandfather," she said, divining the question behind that terse inquiry. "He was Captain Horace Rosewood. I hardly knew him."

"Before my time," Mr Haversham said regretfully. "Don't know his family."

Anna wondered briefly if she were being too confiding, but she could hardly help herself. "My father is in Westmoreland. He rarely leaves the property. Nor had I till this year." 

She was silent for a while. He danced well, as though not even aware that he did so.  She struggled to follow the steps. "My father has remarried," she explained.

He understood. "Presented to His Majesty," he reminded her. "Nothing to worry about."

She smiled and acknowledged the brief remark. "It may be easier as I come to know these faces by name." She looked round at their fellow dancers. "I feel very much the stranger, as yet."

They passed the rest of the dance in very companionable silence. The music came to an end. 

The dance was over.  She was relaxed with the Honourable Peregrine Haversham. All the tension removed for the first time since waking that last morning at Henty House.

It landed on her again like an avalanche when she was back at Mrs Cosgrove's side. Back to the new life.

She watched as Mr Haversham walked away.