Chapter Twenty Eight - Telling the Family

Montague Haversham was at the highly polished desk in his den when the knock came. He put down the papers he was pretending interest in and said, "Come in."

He was surprised to see Perry. It wasn't often that his children visited him, and when they did it was generally Julia or Vester. He waited while Perry closed the door behind him and came to sit in the chair he kept for visitors.

"Well, Perry." He found a piece of paper and handed it to his second son. "Look at this, will you? Vester's accounts. How'd he lose that much on a card game? They play that deep at Toborten's?"

"Think it was Habster's." Perry said, looking at the amounts. "They don't take pawns at Toborten's."

"I see." His Lordship sighed and shook his hand, taking back the paper. "Well, no doubt he'll grow out of it. What did you come to see me about, Perry?"

Perry blinked, as though he'd forgotten for a second why he was there. "Thought you should know," he said. "Getting married."

"Who is?" The Earl dropped Vester's accounts into its proper drawer and closed it.

"I am." Perry spoke matter-of-factly. "Haven't set a date yet. I'll let you know."

Montague Haversham stared at him, speechless. He wondered if someone had spiked his ale that morning. "You're getting married? Who to?" A horrible suspicion began to form. Perry was the most likely to become trapped in an inappropriate situation.

"Anna Rosewood. Staying with Mrs Cosgrove." Perry stood, ready to leave.

"Wait – Perry. Have a drink with me, boy. Tell me about this marriage." The Earl sounded desperate, even to himself.

"No, I'm going to bed. Didn't sleep last night." Perry nodded to him, not looking as though he needed sleep. "Talk later."

The Earl let him go and sat for a long time, thinking. Then he rang the bell and called for his man of business.

"I need some information, very discreetly," he told Ferguson when he arrived. "My son Perry has just informed me he is to marry a particular young lady. I'd like to know who she is and what she is like. Miss Rosewood, staying with a Mrs Cosgrove."

Ferguson left and his Lordship brooded. Perhaps it was all right. Perry was a sensible man. It would be excellent news if he had formed a respectable alliance. He would say nothing to anyone till he knew. He picked up the letter he had been trying to read and attempted to concentrate further.

Ferguson reported back three hours later. The news was good and Montague Haversham breathed a sigh of relief. Now he could celebrate! He felt a sudden burst of pride in his second son. The lad had shown them all.

-----

Anna spent the day in a daze. Mrs Cosgrove's attitude towards her was radically altered. Now they were the closest of friends, her hostess calling her a coy child and wanting to know how long she had felt such a preference for Mr Haversham. 

Anna felt a strong reluctance to impart any information at all, remembering Mrs Cosgrove's blindness to her unhappiness at Eleanor's ball. But Mrs Cosgrove was full of plans, and it was so good to be on speaking terms again!

"First we will write to your father," she told Anna. "Then we put an announcement in the gazette. There shall be an engagement ball ...perhaps his Lordship will play host. Oh, my, whatever is Lady Holloway going to say! But I'd better say nothing yet. We need the word from your father. You must write to him today. So shall I. Oh my, we must commission you a new dress!"

Anna was, however, indebted to Mrs Cosgrove for writing a polite letter to Mr Fogarty, informing him of the engagement.

Her own letter to Father was as restrained as she could make it.