Chapter Twenty - Opera

Mrs Cosgrove received a brief note from her friend. The Rapston's house was closed up and the family back in the country.

"I am sorry for Louisa," Mrs Cosgrove sighed. "She was worried from the beginning about that niece. Her husband's side, you know, and spoiled rotten. Louisa felt all along there was something she had not been told."

And what about Davina?  Anna nearly asked out loud.  Was she remorseful? Regretful? It was not entirely her own fault.

She knew better. Davina Rapston, like Roger Withand, no longer existed to Mrs Cosgrove. Had never existed and must not be so much as hinted at.

At the opera later that week she wore yet another new dress; white with dandelion yellow. Her image in the mirror was the most angelic creature imaginable. Dark eyes opened wide in a pale face, just a touch of colour added to her lips. Her hair pulled back, pinned forward and falling all around her face, shining clean and just now sitting exactly where it ought. She stared into her own eyes, dared that angelic figure to show its true self. But nothing happened. Despite everything, she was looking particularly nice.

Just what would Papa think of this?

"Do I really need to wear a new dress tonight?" she asked. "I've only worn the emerald one twice."

Mrs Cosgrove lowered her eyebrows. "No, dear. We are almost in the peak of the season. If you do not have new clothes it will look as though you are doing badly. It would be noticed, Anna. Just now, that's the last thing we need."

There was nothing more to be said.

So they swept into the Opera House foyer with all the dignity and poise that Mrs Cosgrove could want; the two of them with Lord and Lady Holloway. The box had a perfect view. She looked down at the crowds below and glanced through the elaborately decorated program. 

When the audience hushed and the music began she was riveted. It was nothing like dance music.  That was rhythmic and predictable, this rose and fell, swam and flew, stalled, leaped and flittered. Delicate fluting notes hung about her in the air, great drums crashed with startling passion and a violin harmony melted through all. It was truly beautiful. If only she spoke Italian! But good singing was obvious whatever language it was in.

At the interval they left the box for a few moments. She descended the red-carpeted stairs in a daze, still holding the final bars in her head. Looked up and saw Perry's familiar face in the foyer.

Her spirits rose in a flash. 

He came to meet her and nodded to Mrs Cosgrove who had paused to speak with the Countess Treworthy.

"Perry!" she said, joining him without further thought. "I hadn't expected to see you here."

He nodded, his expression bland. "M'mother," he explained, his voice carefully noncommittal.

"I see." Anna's smile was too big, she knew it. She was filled with exhilaration that mustn't show.  "It is a wonderful performance. I cannot believe how fast the violinists move their hands. Even if one doesn't like music, the technical aspect is impressive."

Perry Haversham's face was more expressive than she had ever seen it. 

"You've seen it before, haven't you?" Anna asked, laughter bubbling inside and held back as firmly as possible. "Well, it is quite new to me, and I am enjoying it immensely."

Someone joined them then: the Viscountess Needham. She was younger than she had looked from a distance, and she had the smile of a friend. Anna smiled back, wondering if she had been forward in speaking with Perry.