Chapter Twenty One - A Confidence

An elegant invitation arrived on white card in a genteel hand, inviting Anna to an afternoon at Maris as the personal guest of Eleanor Ingham.

Written underneath the formal invitation were some words in a different pen, in perfect copperplate.

"I know you will be surprised, Miss Rosewood, that I make such a familiar request upon our very small acquaintance, but I hope you will be free, and I will explain everything when you are here."

Anna went to Debrett's Peerage in Mr Cosgrove's office and found the property called Maris.  It was the London residence of the Earl of Retham.  There followed a three hundred year pedigree of the Ingham family.

She sat at Mr Cosgrove's desk for a long time, staring rather blankly at the old book.  Remembering the last time she looked inside such a book. 

If she were superstitious ..

No. Anna straightened in her seat, took a deep breath and turned the pages before other foolish thoughts could interfere.

'Montague HAVERSHAM, Earl of CHELLAM, Baron of TANKERMONT; born Aug 10th 1759, succeeded his father Kay, the late Earl, Oct 27th 1797; married May 26th 1782, Alicia, daughter and co-heiress of  Walter Parmont, Duke of Ryde, by whom he has issue, 1. Kay, Viscount of Needham b. Sep 2nd 1783; 2. Peregrine, b. June 8th 1786; 3. Julia, b March 23rd 1791."

A block of text, barely comprehensible. And just what was the point of looking?

Anna closed the book and put it back on the shelf.

-----

One of the Ingham's carriages was sent to collect her, a luxurious box of red and yellow silk, feather pillows, cashmere rugs and fur trimming with a coat of arms on the door. Anna took a last look at Mrs Cosgrove through the window before they set off down the street. Then she sat back beside Sukie and tried to relax. 

On this first outing without her chaperone the weather was beautiful.  Green leaves covered the trees and every garden was full of bloom.  

The carriage passed through the gates of Maris and let her out at the door.

Eleanor met her with a big smile, beautiful in white silk and lace with wide eyes and perfect colour in her cheeks.  "Welcome to my home, Anna!" She looked round and the butler stepped forward. "Laurence, please take Miss Rosewood's maid to the staff kitchen and provide her with refreshments."

Anna followed up the magnificent stairs to the first floor and tried not to stare.

They settled down in a sitting room with tall windows where a tray of tea and sandwiches sat on a waxed mahogany table.

Eleanor poured the tea herself and waited till they were both served before she looked up with a shy smile.

"I have something to tell you." Her voice was low. "But you will wonder why I chose you to tell. So I must explain that too."

Anna waited and took a sip of her tea.

Eleanor smiled. "You see? That - that right there, Anna - is exactly why." She gave an emphatic nod. "I knew it from the start. London is full of us at this time of year. Gentlemen and ladies, mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters and cousins and chaperones and .. and less salubrious creatures. But for all the variety, how often does one find someone to whom one can talk? More than that - with whom one can speak and be sure they will not repeat one's words? Not often."

Eleanor sipped her own tea, smiled and waited for a response.

"Had you no friends before?" Anna asked. And winced inwardly. Was that the best thing she could have said?

It was. Eleanor laughed. "Oh yes! My sister Maria. But she was married six months ago. Believe it or not, Anna, this is my first season alone." She picked up a sandwich. "Germaine suggested you. He says you've ended up in the wrong circles through no fault of your own, and that you are one of the most discreet young ladies he has met this year."

Anna tried to remember. Who was Germaine?

The tea was finished now. Eleanor raised an eyebrow. "Lord Poulson?"

Oh! "It's very good of him to say so," she said hesitantly. 

"It is! I was surprised! But if he says so, it must be true. So when I saw you at Almack's I took the chance. And now, Anna, I will tell you my secret. I am so full of it that I cannot settle to anything!" She stood suddenly and went over to the window, a picture of grace and charm. 

Anna joined her at the window. Outside was a wide lawn with a paved square. Hedges lined a path heading away to an iron cast gate . There was a fountain with a figurine holding a basket, and a taller statue of a man with ivy growing over his shoulders.

Eleanor turned with a smile. "I am to be married. And nobody knows but you and I." Her face flushed with happiness. 

Anna caught her breath. "You .. haven't told anyone?"

"Nobody." There was a tremulous smile on her lips.

The Lady Eleanor Ingham was beautiful. Especially beautiful just now. And that was a very superficial thought to have just now, Anna told herself.  Mrs Cosgrove's comparing habits had rubbed off.

But was Eleanor sane? What kind of trouble could this bring down on a nobody from the country with one season? "Why not?" she asked, dreading the answer.

Eleanor blinked. "Are you worried? Of course you are! No, Anna, it is nothing clandestine! Lester asked me to marry him yesterday. But we cannot speak of it until my father returns from the continent and gives formal permission. So I have not said a word even to Mamma or Maria, because they cannot keep secrets, no matter how hard they try." She hesitated. "I am taking a chance on you, Anna, but Germaine says you are discreet, and Kit thinks you sensible, and .. Rupe saw you at Huntsworth with Louisa Rapston looking very serious, and I don't know what happened but that night the family closed up house and there was a most unsavoury rumour about Davina .. and you know all about it, do you not? Yet you have not said a word! I will not ask - I do not want to know. Anna, shall we go into the garden?"

Maris was like a palace. Wide hallways, polished floorboards with woven runners. A suit of armour at the top of the stairway and tapestries in the downstairs hall.

Eleanor walked purposely through as if it was all commonplace. Out the large rear doors and onto the stone path. 

Anna, impressed and astonished by everything her eyes landed on, followed without a word.

With her new friend, just as if she was in London for pleasure.