Chapter Nineteen - Mr Fogarty

Another letter from Papa came with her breakfast tray the next morning.

"Our plans are made," he told her.  "There is to be a big expedition. Mount Monolith has exceeded our expectations again, and we have high hopes of a good result at Ascot.  Since we are going to this much trouble with one horse, we may as well put ourselves to the trouble for more! So we are bringing Tossing Thomas and Hey De Ho, and going to Brighton first.

"It was my intention to visit you, but as your stepmama is not up to the trip and becomes anxious when I am gone, I will have to forego that pleasure. Norris will handle everything. And I will make my visit later, when everything is more settled here."

Anna put the letter down and blinked tears from her eyes. Why was she so disappointed? She'd not actually thought Papa would come. But to think that he'd planned it, and her stepmama put a stop to it!

But it recalled her to her purpose. If this was a new start, so be it. She was wiser now, and more determined.

Breakfast was a matter of tense silence and avoiding eye contact while the servant was present. Afterwards, they sat in  Mrs Cosgrove's sitting room and made new plans.

"I shall not be surprised if we see no more of Davina Rapston." Mrs Cosgrove said comfortably. "But if we do, we must give her the cut. Do you feel you can do it? Nothing could be more fatal to your hopes than an association with the scandal this may cause."

"But nobody saw it," Anna objected. "I am almost certain Mr Haversham will not speak of it."

"Almost certain," Mrs Cosgrove repeated, her face lined with worry. "As it happens, Anna, I am more certain than you that he will not. Nonetheless, there will be somebody else who saw it all. You may be sure of that. Who is this Mr Laverton? I do not think I know his name."

"He is a very evil man." In Anna's mind was an image of a beautiful bay stallion, propped on trembling legs and covered in a sheen of sweat. She could still see the foam that bubbled out of his mouth as he struggled to breathe. She had been seventeen and cared very much for the horses who filled her world. Her jaw set, so hard she could barely speak. "He is capable of anything."

"Indeed." Mrs Cosgrove looked at her in surprise tempered by an evident satisfaction. "It seems you are not about to fall victim to his charms. I'm pleased to hear it. But will he spread the tale?"

Anna took a moment to think that one through. "Yes," she said reluctantly. "He is the type to do that."

Mrs Cosgrove stood with a sigh. "Then we are distanced from the Rapstons. Let us hope we are not embroiled in more than we know."

They took the air in Hyde Park, Mrs Cosgrove deeming it better to face the worst as soon as possible. For a while it seemed indeed as though they were being avoided, but after the better part of an hour Lord Poulson joined them.

"I have heard a nasty rumour," he told them in a cautious voice. "Regarding our friends the Rapstons."

Mrs Cosgrove stopped him there with a cold voice. "The Rapstons are acquaintances of ours, Lord Poulson, but we have never been friends. It is true Louisa Rapston was an intimate of mine before we married, but I am not acquainted with her husband's family."

"I see." Lord Poulson's eyes were alight with curiosity as Mrs Cosgrove's words gave truth to the rumour. Anna felt that her relative had perhaps been too strong.

What if Lord Poulson was speaking of something completely different?

"What is the rumour?" she asked.