Chapter Thirty Two - Journey to Henty

By Wednesday morning George Brown had a bay stallion of fair breeding for Perry to ride, and they made the tour round the property. There was one burning issue on the manager's mind: he showed his employer a vast valley, the fields free of stock.

"The near paddocks are ours." He said, waving a weathered hand.  "The other side belonged to Jack Fairweather.  He passed away seven months back and his place's been up for sale for about that long." Brown looked at Perry.  "You see, that creek's on his side. We can't use this land much without water on it. We could run an extra few hundred head of cattle with that land - or more."

Perry took it all in.  He'd owned this property for a few years now. Why hadn't Brown presented such plans before?  But it had been a year at least since he was here last, and now he thought about it, he'd been with Kay and Jasper.  This was the first time he'd been here alone.   

The tour was concluded by luncheon and he ate alone in the dining hall on sliced ham and boiled potatoes. Vicente had packed his bags and his coach was ready for him by the time he had finished eating.  

He'd made up his mind by the end of the meal.

"That Fairweather land."  He said to Brown just before he went out. "I'll buy it." 

There was something deeply satisfying about the way the man sparked up when he said those words. Brown tried hard to be serious but the grin spread wide across his face. "Thank you, sir. I'll get right on to it!"

Perry then nodded to Mrs Brown. "Thank you." He'd talked himself out, leaving was more work than arrival and he climbed into the coach with the greatest relief. 

He saw them watching as he went out the main gates, George Brown still with that broad grin.

--------

On Thursday morning Anna received a visit from the Viscount of Chellam and his wife.  

After her former experiences of the family she met them with some trepidation, but the Viscountess kissed her cheek and smiled. "I was so hoping you would join the family, Anna! I knew you were right for Perry when we met at the theatre. You must meet my husband Kay - Perry's brother, of course.  We are both very happy to welcome you."   

Anna could not stay apprehensive in the face of such amicability.  "Thank you."  She felt a little awkward.  "I'm glad our marriage will not upset everyone."

"Oh, Anna! Don't mind the Countess." Selina's voice was full of sympathy. "She did not approve of me either.  Of course, it's worse for you because she's never thought of Perry as his own man.    I don't think Julia did either."

"I don't know that I did." Kay said, looking regretful. "He's always kept so much to himself we all assumed there was nothing happening in his life. I don't blame him for going away."

Anna felt a pang of longing at that remark. "Nor do I, but I think he'll enjoy Henty. It's not as grand as Ascot, of course, but it has every facility! And even the Balforth Cup meet will have its dramatic moments."

There was a moment's silence and Anna wondered if she had said the wrong thing. Selina and Kay looked at each other. Then Kay gave a burst of laughter and she saw Selina's eyes twinkling.

"We didn't know he'd gone to a horse race."  Selina said, laughter in her voice. "Where is Henty?    I don't believe I've heard of it."

Anna realised all was well and relaxed further.  "It's in Westmorland. The Henty Track and the Henty stud belong to my father."

"So he's gone to meet your father at a horse race? That's very convenient."  Kay's reserve had left him now.  "The announcement is going into the gazette tomorrow. He'll be safely out of the way.  Typical of Perry." But his tone was more admiring than critical, and Anna couldn't take offense.