Chapter Thirty Three - Return

A brief note from Mr Rosewood arrived at Mrs Cosgrove's house on Wednesday. It gave the results of all races at Henty on Balforth Cup day and concluded with an intimation that he himself would be in London by Thursday afternoon.

He made no mention of Perry. Anna wondered at that, but it meant nothing. When John Rosewood's focus was on the horses little else popped into his head.

The hall was full of cards, the mail was full of letters, invitations, notes of congratulations. They received complimentary vouchers to Almacks and other social venues.  Mrs Cosgrove was the most puzzling mix of euphoric and utterly exhausted that Anna had ever seen. They reduced their visiting hours to three hours each second day just to gain some peace.

Selina Haversham visited again on Thursday morning.

"I quite understand Perry's reaction," she said a little hesitantly, "But we need him back soon. We have family waiting to meet you. Papa wants to hold a reception at home, just our closest friends, but he can't until you are both in one place and it's beginning to look as if Perry .."  She pulled herself up on that thought. 

There was nothing Anna could do. "He must be on his way back now."

After Selina was gone, Anna took a minute to sit in Mr Cosgrove's office where everything felt more sensible.  Perry would be back soon, she was quite sure of it but some tiny niggle remained.  Did he regret it now? He'd had time to think, time to see everyone's reactions. He'd not been compelled to offer for her and they were perfectly well suited but this was the biggest sensation even Mrs Cosgrove had ever seen. 

Her father's second marriage had been lavish enough, but that was their own doing, it was dinners and performances and even balls. This was other people. All of London wanted to see what form of perfection had turned the head of the most determined bachelor in society today.

Well, she'd been out there among them the whole season. They could have met her then.

A letter came from Louisa Rapston and Mrs Cosgrove showed Anna. "What is your inclination, Anna?" 

The letter was written with great care. There was not a misformed character, not a scrawl, it had been drafted and redrafted and copied onto this final sheet with much thought.

"Dear Amelia,

"It has been a most disastrous year for us, but I do wish to congratulate Anna on such a successful betrothal. Perhaps we had forewarning, if we had opened our eyes? That young gentleman was particularly attentive from the first. I speak bluntly here but believe me, this comes from the heart, you have accomplished everything that I knew you might. 

"Dare I hope that once the wedding is over and we have all settled down, you will feel enough compassion for your old friend that we can resume our connection? At that point an old scandal can scarcely cause further harm and you will know, dearest Amelia, that this is not the world in which I have ever lived.

"Your faithful friend,

Louisa"

It was another change, Mrs Cosgrove beginning to ask Anna her opinion about all kinds of things. And of course they must reunite, it was not Mrs Rapston's fault that Davina was headstrong. But she hesitated too. "I'll ask Perry."

They were in the parlour on Thursday night when Mr Rosewood walked in completely unannounced, bringing with him the vague scent of horsehair and Westmoreland heather. 

"So this is how you spend your evenings." He looked with mock interest at the piece of embroidery Anna was trying to unpick.

"Oh!" Anna leaped up to hug him and the embroidery fell to the floor. "I am generally better than this, Father. I think my fingers are growing numb."