Chapter Twenty Nine - Reactions

The house in Baron Street was about to receive the most illustrious visitors ever to pass through its doors. Mrs Cosgrove was in a fluster. 

The visit was not a surprise. Perry had dropped in the previous day, very briefly, to warn them that his mother and sister would call  this morning. Mrs Cosgrove was very gushing and Anna didn't blame him for leaving quickly.

And now the visit was upon them.

At half after ten o'clock the carriage pulled up outside. Mrs Cosgrove gave a satisfied sigh at the sight of the crest. Anna froze a little as the occupants stepped out. The Countess was large and stony-faced; her daughter was tall, thin and displeased.

They waited in the parlour for Elmer to bring the visitors in. Mrs Cosgrove was ready to take charge and Anna was happy to comply. She sat by the window as the Havershams were shown in, and watched Mrs Cosgrove bobbing and practically bowing.

"It is a delightful morning, is it not?" Mrs Cosgrove said with a smile. "After all the –"

"So this must be Miss Rosewood," the Countess interrupted her mid-sentence, seeing Anna at last. "You have kept well hidden, have you not?"

Anna stood politely, her legs shaking. This was Perry's mother? No wonder he was as quiet as he was. "Good morning, Lady Haversham," she said, mustering up a smile.

"Hmm." The Countess chose a chair and sat. Her daughter sat beside her, giving Anna a very close scrutiny. 

A great deal made sense now. Perry's chance comments came to mind, about his sister.  Somehow the memory helped. She sat and glanced at Mrs Cosgrove. It was time to offer tea.

"A small house, this," the Countess said with a frown. "Have you been here long?"

"Eighteen years, ma'am," Mrs Cosgrove said, not daring to take offense. "It suits me."

"I see. What of Miss Rosewood?" Perry's mother looked at her.

"My father lives in Westmorland," She said quietly. "I am visiting my cousin for the spring and summer."

"Indeed. Looking for a husband? You have done very well for yourself, then. I had not realised my son was part of the wares on offer."

The sharpest silence she had ever experienced followed that remark. 

"I wonder, would you say that if he was here?" Anna mused softly. "Whatever you may think of my intentions, my Lady, Perry is a grown man with a mind of his own. Do you have so little confidence in him?"

Even the Lady Julia looked appalled. But the Countess moved on relentlessly. 

"You call him - Perry?" The Countess' face was purpling and Mrs Cosgrove looked at her in alarm. "I think he deserves a more respectful title than that from you."

Anna caught her breath. It was just like her, to anger Perry's mother. "I shall discuss the matter with him, my Lady." 

There was another silence.

Anna stood.  The Countess had an idea fixed in her head and nothing was going to change it. Battles with her own stepmama had taught her the futility. "Thank you for your visit. I am glad to have met you at last." 

She bowed her head politely and left the room. Mrs Cosgrove could deal with them from there.

Tears filled her eyes as she climbed the stairs and she closed her bedroom door firmly behind her.  It was a dismal failure. Whatever would Perry say? But she simply could not have stayed there any longer, listening to the Countess' offensive innuendoes. She heard voices in the corridor and realised with relief that they were leaving. When they were safely outside she emerged from her room to face Mrs Cosgrove.

"Oh my dear." Mrs Cosgrove's round face was looking worried. "I don't know what will come of this. You were very rude. To walk out on the countess! Take a rest, Anna. I shall do the same, and think about how we can rectify the situation."

Anna rubbed her arms and wondered when the house had turned so cold. 

--------

Perry spent the morning at White's and the afternoon at Toborten's, playing cards and keeping out of his family's way. Felix's winning streak continued.

"Look at me now!" Felix gloated. "I've bought back half the shares I sold and even paid my tab at Nickel's. I knew my luck would turn."

"It'll turn again, you know." Basil was arranging and rearranging his hand. "It'll come to me, with any luck. Rupe, raise you one."

"All right. I'm in." Rupe gave him a hard look. "Let's see what you've got."

Simon Everard tiptoed across the room and sat in a chair, his face impassive.

They waited. Perry played his cards, Felix played. Rupe won the hand.

"See?" Basil said to Felix. "Let's take a break. Have something to eat."

"I heard a rumour this morning," Simon said, examining his glass in an offhand way. "Something my brother told me."

"Plenty of 'em about, Simon," Felix said testily, signalling the steward to bring more sherry. "Why talk about it?"

"Well, I thought it might be true." He looked up finally. "Is it, Perry? You going to be married?"

Rupe gave a bark of laughter and Basil looked at Simon in amazement. Simon weathered their derision and waited. The others realised suddenly that he was serious and turned to look at Perry.

Perry Haversham looked at them and wondered why it was such a big issue. "It ain't public yet."

"You are?" Rupe was stunned. "Were you going to tell us?"

"Haven't had time," he explained. "Playing cards."

"Yes ... I see." Rupe looked helplessly at Basil. "But ... I don't know why I'm surprised. You happy, Perry?"

Perry had to think about that. Not whether he was happy, but why Rupe would have to ask. He nodded. "Not forced into it."

"So how'd you hear it, Simon?" Felix asked suddenly. "You ain't family." The cards were packed and he signalled for food.

"Louis had it from Vester. Louis knows her." He looked at Perry. "My congratulations, Perry. Must warn you, I don't think you'll keep it quiet any longer."

They were rallying now. Rupe smiled, a pleased look in his eye. "I was growing tired of being the only married man in our group. Does Beckie know her, Perry?" A thought struck him. "Do I know her? What's her name?"

"Anna Rosewood." Perry said. How much more of this would there be? "Comes from Westmorland."

Felix recognised the importance of this immediately. His eyes lit up. "Henty? You ain't marrying a Rosewood of Henty? You know what you're about, Perry. I ain't met her. Wish I had."

"What's Henty?" Simon wasn't as quick. "It ain't London, is it?"

"Saw you dance with someone once. Was that her?" Rupe was thinking his own thoughts. "Remember now ... we were going to Habsters but you'd been caught. Almack's."

Perry decided he'd had enough and fortunately the covers were brought to their table at that moment. He said no more.