Chapter Eighteen - Davina

There was an appropriateness about this evening's venue.

It took her right back - that very first day when she'd walked in the gardens here with Davina, when they looked at the flower clock as rain tried to fall.

So here they were again, just as her own task began again. Just like that first day, she had no prospects and no confidence any more either, no belief that she understood London or society.

It was the first time inside the mansion though.  She walked in serenely, dressed in lilac with white lace and satin, her hair teased into ringlets that would undoubtedly fall out by the end of the night. There were great gilded flowers carved into the cornices and the massive drapes looked new and luxurious. The chandeliers must have taken hours to light. Mirrors around the ceiling edges threw the light down in a more flattering angle than many ballrooms she had seen. It was truly impressive.

"There are a great many here tonight." Mrs Cosgrove mused, looking round. "Ah, I see Lady Holloway. Shall we join them?" She led the way round the floor to where her friend was seated.

They had barely exchanged pleasantries when Mr Lawton and Mr Chedwick stopped by. 

Mrs Cosgrove lowered an eyebrow at her and Anna gave an inner sigh.  She knew just what was expected of her.  Yes, she still had men around her.  And Mrs Cosgrove had great hope.

She allocated the usual dances to Mr Lawton and Mr Chedwick, one to Lord Poulson, one to Mr Stewart and one, very reluctantly, to Mr Sowerby. Mrs Cosgrove did not approve of him, but even she agreed one could not be blatantly rude. Mr Sowerby might have a penchant for wearing the fashions of a former decade and speak in deeply theatrical voice, but he still was an accepted member of polite society and as such worthy of courtesy.

Eleanor Ingham came to speak with her in a break between dances.

"I am only here for another hour,"  she explained. "These open balls can degenerate into – well, not rabble precisely, but higher spirits than is truly decorous. You will know the time to retire, I am sure."

The dancing began.

It was a vast ballroom; nearly as vast as the royal hall. The orchestra was very strong. Anna made a mental note to comment on their performance when she had her dance with Lord Poulson. 

With Mr Lawton she could make idle pleasantries. It occurred to her that a partner who did not notice whether you attended or not was not the best partner to have. Was she guilty of the same?

Her dance with Mr Sowerby came and they took places beside Davina Rapston and a man she had never met. Davina smiled, a toothy grin that Anna returned half-heartedly.

"So he got you out on the floor, did he?" Davina asked, in high spirits. "He wanted me to introduce you." She looked up at her partner as he whispered in her ear in a very familiar manner, then turned to Anna. "I must introduce you, Anna. Here is Mr Keith Laverton. Mr Laverton, my friend Anna Rosewood. Have you enjoyed the ball so far, Anna? I have had a wonderful time. "

The music began and the dance steps took her away before Anna could reply. She hardly knew what to say. Just now she had no confidence, and Davina seemed to be enjoying herself far more than she did. 

'She's a lively one." Mr Sowerby tittered. "It makes one dizzy to keep up with her." He waited till the dance brought them close and said in a breathy whisper, "I think our friend Laverton is equal to her."

Anna's eyes flickered over to the couple. Laverton. She knew that name from somewhere. Of course, there must be hundreds of Lavertons in London. But she did not like the look of the man. He was wary, his face guarded and his eyes leering as he looked at his partner. She could not recall where she knew the name from.