Chapter Thirty - Formal Announcement

Montague Haversham was having a difficult day.

He began by writing a brief letter to Mr John Rosewood, expressing his satisfaction in the engagement and offering his hospitality. That done, he left Perry's affairs alone and decided that he should, in conscience, support Lord Baxter's bill at the end of the week. He had just completed a letter to Baxter when his wife burst in on him, her face red and her jaw set.

My Lord, you must do something," she said stridently. "I will not have that cheap little hussy in the family!"

Montague's heart sank and he wished he'd had an opportunity to meet the girl first. His wife's assessments were correct about half the time. "Your visit was not a success?"

"They are ... shabby genteel. Such a tiny house, and everything so inconvenient! The girl is revoltingly raised: so forward, so ... unaware of the honour that has been done her. I could not get a shred of sense out of her."

"Selina described her as a lovely girl," His Lordship said, trying to mask the irritation he felt. "The Rosewoods are not shabby genteel, my dear. I knew Horace well, and I've heard nothing bad about his son."

"That's as may be. We've only her word that she is a Rosewood." His wife was calming now, but she was no more forgiving. "Well, perhaps the family is well enough, but I'll not put up with that young woman's airs. Montague, she calls him Perry."

In the silence that followed, even the Countess of Chellam saw the weakness of that argument. She reverted to the former, unarguable fact. "I won't have her!"

His Lordship gained some peace by suggesting she take a rest in her room, and called his daughter to his den once it was clear.

"You accompanied your mother this morning, Julia. What happened?"

Julia was thrown into confusion at this question. She might have her faults, but she was honest. "Miss Rosewood told Mama that Perry could make his own decisions."

"Indeed!" The Earl smiled and wished he'd been there to see it. "Your mother has not gained a favourable impression of Miss Rosewood. I wondered what you thought."

Julia wanted very much to support her mother, it was there in her face. She hesitated. "I don't know what to say, Papa. She did not say much. She was a scared little mouse, I think."

His Lordship let her go, resigned to the fact that he would have to see her himself. A scared little mouse did not gel with the Countess' description at all. For just a few minutes he regretted the letter he had mailed to John Rosewood. Really, Perry had shown some acuity in keeping his affairs to himself.

----

Domestic scenes were the bane of life, but Perry knew he wasn't through the stir his engagement had created. Now that his friends knew, White was no longer a haven. 

He dined at home, determined to bear the brunt.

Julia saw him with almost malicious pleasure. "Why, Perry! How kind of you to join us tonight. It is so unfortunate that Mama is taking tea in her room."

The relief was enormous. He could cope with Julia. She continued "We went to visit your Miss Rosewood this morning. She was quite rude to Mama."

"From Mama's tale this morning, I should think it was the other way round," Vester said through a mouthful of food. "Mama told her she was being disrespectful."