Chapter 22

Carol wasn't happy at all with my decision of telling my mother about the pregnancy.

"Can't you wait for a few more days? Just until things settle down?"

I watched her as she placed a cup of tea in front of me and then placed two cups of coffee in front of Anna and Ashton.

"I have to tell her. Maybe I can stop her from marrying George."

Carol's eyes narrowed at me for a second before a serene, warm look took over her face. She came around to sit on the empty stool next to me, grasping my hands tenderly.

"Honey, is that why you want to tell her? You're expecting her to leave George when she finds out?"

Her voice was motherly, soft, and had a hint of disappointment. I looked away from her eyes, glancing down to my lap. Shrugging, I answered her doubts.

"I don't know. Maybe. I just want to get this over with," I mumbled, my eyes pricking with tears.

"Oh honey," and she patted my hands before embracing me in one of her motherly hugs. "Do you want me to come with you?"

I shook my head as I moved back to look at her.

"No, I'll just go there and talk to her. If anything happens..."

"You'll cal me straight away and I'll be there as quick as I can," Ashton interrupted me.

Looking at him, I stared him in the eyes as to promise him that I'd do exactly that.

"And you can call me as well, I'll be there to kick 'em in the balls," Anna exclaimed almost chirpily.

We all erupted in laughter, and I noticed as Ashton at some point just sat there looking at me with gleaming eyes as I continued laughing at Anna's colorful words and exclamations.

My hands were shaking, they were sweaty, and I swear my heartbeat wasn't normal as it thudded against my chest. Standing in front of my house's front door, I breathed in several times to try and calm myself down. In no way was that possible. With one last breath in and out, I pushed open the door and entered the house. George and Kevin weren't home as there were no signs of cars by the sidewalk as I walked up to the house. That was relieving I guess. Walking into what once I referred to as home, my body seemed to be going against me as my breathing was one of fear and my limbs were twitching. The memories of that night seemed to be enclosed in this house.

I could hear the low voices coming from the TV. The kitchen was dirty, with plates and bottles of beer on the countertops. Walking further, my feet were making it difficult for me as I neared the living room....where 'it' happened.

"George? Is that you?" I heard my mom call from the living room.

Taking in a deep breath, I peeked my head into the living room, not wanting to go in. As I spotted my mom on the couch, with a cigarette in her hand, my eyes decided to wander around the room. I could hear my heart pumping wildly and blood rushing through my body as my eyes caught onto every tiny detail of that night. The wall where Kevin had me pressed, the slightly moved table, the rug which seemed wrinkly and moved from where he straddled me on the ground and used my body.

"Samantha," my head jerked to my mother as her voice tore through my thoughts.

I sniffed as I noticed my eyes were watery, threatening to let go of the tears.

"What are you doing here? Why aren't you at school?" She snapped, putting down the cigarette against the plate on the table.

"I..umm..I.." I didn't know what to say.