Chapter 34

My eyes felt heavy. My body felt stiff. I don't know why, but I knew this wasn't good. I tried to open my eyes. I felt a soft, familiar sensation on my forehead. My hand enjoyed the fingers curled around my own.

I know that smell. I love that smell. It makes me feel safe. It makes my heart skip a beat as my mind connects the odor to a certain person. I finally got to open my eyes and I faced a navy blue fabric covering a body. I knew instantly who it was. Without much thinking, I moved my hand to reach for him. An involuntary groan escaped my lips, but my fingers finally came in touch with him.

I could feel him tense. I could feel his hand tighten around my own. I blinked several times as I was finally able to keep my eyes open and adjusted to the light.

"S-s-sam," he let out in a choking voice.

I wanted to say something. I wanted to call his name, to ask him where I was, why was I here, what happened, but I couldn't. I tried to open my mouth and let the words slip, but my throat felt blocked and heavy. I couldn't speak, it hurt.

"It's okay, it's okay," he rushed to say as he interlaced our fingers together. I tried as much as I can to hold on tighter, to give him that reassuring squeeze.

"Oh Sam, I missed you so much," he breathed out as he leaned closer again and placed a hard and long lasting kiss onto my forehead. I relished in his touch, in the sensation, but I wanted to know what was wrong. Why did he miss me? What happened?

I tried again, "I-I..." But he cut me off, shaking his head.

"I'm gonna go get the doctor. Okay? Just stay awake. Yeah? Just keep your eyes open."

I watched as Ashton rushed to the door and yelled for a doctor as he explained that I was awake. What's the big deal that I'm awake?

"Hello Sam, I am Dr Davis. Are you in any pain?"

This must be the doctor. She walked in with Carol behind her. Once they saw me, they let out a breath and smiled warmly.

Dr Davis approached me and started moving her flashlight over my eyes. It was annoying. I tried again to speak and answer but it was a challenge.

"Here, have some water for your throat," Dr Davis grabbed the cup of water and held the straw close to my lips. I took slow sips and then relaxed back against the pillow as I could now feel comfortable to use my voice.

"My head is pounding and my leg feels heavy," I croaked out. My voice sounded foreign to my ears.

"The headache is normal, and your leg is in a cast so that's the reason for the discomfort," Dr Davis explained. Just then Melissa walked in and smiled at me.

"Nice to see you Sam," Melissa greeted.

Again...what's up with the whole 'nice to see you' and the 'I missed you'?

"Samantha honey, do you remember what happened?"

Looking around the room at the familiar faces of the people in front of me, I locked gazes with Ashton S fear ran through me. I guess he noticed that as he tightened his grasp on my hand as a gesture of comfort. To answer the question, I shook my head before asking with utmost fear, "W-why am I here?"

Carol answered me in her motherly way, "You were in a car crash the night Ashton and the soccer team won the league."

As her words hit my ears, my brain finally started functioning, trying to grasp onto that night's memories. And as if I was hit across the face, I remembered. "The party?" I whispered as I remembered our excitement as we hopped into Ashton's truck. The sweet moment we shared. My heart growing at the joy shining from him. And then that light. It cam out of nowhere, blinding me and the next thing I know, it's like I've suddenly fallen asleep.