Chapter 21

I could hear what sounded like whispers. But then I heard those whispers escalate to high voices. Frantic voices. Those voices I recognised. I wanted so badly to say something, to speak up. I wanted that voice in particular to talk to me, to assure me everything's okay. But things weren't okay. And I knew that. I knew things weren't okay, and so did he. That's why my body refused to wake up. That's why I wanted to stay unconscious. As much as I tried to stay asleep, I needed to open my eyes. I couldn't keep them so frantic and scared. I couldn't cause them more trouble.

Everything around me was white. The ceiling was white. The walls were white. The blinds were white. The sheets covering my body were white. The only thing that wasn't white was my attire, as well as the four people in the room. I had trouble adjusting to my surroundings. I blinked a few times and tried to move, but found that impossible as my body felt weak. My grunting caught attention of the people around me and they all instantly looked at me. Carol had her motherly worried expression. Anna seemed scared, her eyes somewhat watering. Melissa seemed deep in her doctor role, with her strong expression yet tender eyes. Then, lastly, the one expression that broke me apart was the teary eyed, torn expression of Ashton. He was the first to rush to my side and hold my hand. Melissa then approached, and so did Carol and Anna.

"Samantha honey, how are you feeling?" Melissa asked.

I cleared my throat and gulped to answer, "I've got a headache."

Melissa nodded her head explaining that when I lost consciousness, I hit my head against the ground and so a headache is the aftermath of such an incident. As her words were registered, my brain seemed to knock me out of my weak state as I was hit by what really took place in her office earlier. My body stiffened, my heart raced, my breathing was hard to control. Pregnant. Test positive for pregnancy. Pregnant. I heard those words on repeat in my mind. I must be imagining things, this must be a trick of my brain due to the hit caused by my falling. It must be it. This must be the reason. My pale face must've been an indication to the others that something was wrong, and so Ashton asked the one thing at the tip of everyone's tongue.

"Sam, what's wrong?"

My eyes met his. His hazel, watery eyes. And my eyes filled with desperate tears once again. Shaking my head, I looked around frantically, and my eyes connected to Melissa. I guess she understood what I needed. Help. I didn't understand what was happening. How could I answer him when I, myself, don't understand if this is real or just a trick my brain is playing on me?

Melissa moved closer to me and she looked at the rest. She told them how I took an appointment with her because I was feeling sick and was scared I'd have caught an infection or virus.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming here?" Ashton interrupted Melissa as he asked me tenderly.

"I-I...I needed to go alone," I mumbled, my voice cracking with fear at what's to leave Melissa's lips.

Ashton squeezed my hand and I knew he was telling me he's here. And that alone made my chest constrict.

"I did a blood test and urine test to find out what's going on with Samantha," Melissa continued. "Her blood test came back negative for any viruses or infections."

 She stopped and looked down to me, her eyes told me the one thing I feared. My brain wasn't playing tricks on me. It was all real. The test did come back positive for pregnancy. I'm pregnant. An aftermath of my rape was pregnancy. My eyes pooled with tears, soon they were falling down my cheeks. I shook my head, merely shook my head as my body couldn't function with much energy.

"No, no," I repeated in a hushed broken voice.

Melissa looked at me with sympathy, pity. I heard Carol take a sharp in-take of breath. She must've figured it out.