Chapter 37

Every time the door would open, my head would snap up, my eyes watching as each person that walked through wasn't Ashton. I knew I had to be patient and wait, but it's been an hour since the detectives told us they're at the station and Ashton was giving his statement. Does it take that long? An hour? With a huff, I slumped back into the chair, my crutches leaning against the chair's arms.

"He'll come out, it's just taking time," Carol patted my knee, smiling.

Ever since the detectives called and told us they've arrested Kevin and that Ashton was safe and on their way to the police department, the agonised look on Carol's face instantly disappeared. She's her usual calm self, trying to calm everyone else and be a good support. I wish I could be like that, I thought to myself as I smiled gratefully at her.

"I know, I just can't wait," I mumbled, playing with a thread sticking out on the side of my jeans.

"Neither can I. You wait and see. After I see him in one piece, I'm going to smack some sense into that boy's head," Carol grumbled.

I laughed at that, giggling and shaking my head in amusement. And just as the door opened, my eyes easily caught sight of a tall figure, beach blonde hair, and finally, hazel orbs. I instantly jumped up and - I don't exactly know how - limped in a semi rush over to the idiot who had a few bruises on his face and was clutching his side. A few feet were left between us, and Ashton was quick to shorten the distance as he took large steps and finally wrapped his arms around me. He winced a little but quickly relaxed as he buried his face in my neck, breathing in deeply and letting his lips brush against my skin. I squeezed my eyes shut, wrapped my arms around his neck as tightly as possible, and buried my face into his shoulder.

"It's over. He won't hurt you, Sam. It's over," Ashton whispered into my ear, his lips causing goosebumps to cover my body.

"You idiot," I chuckled with tears in my eyes and a heavy throat. My hands fisted his shirt as I held him tighter.

Ashton pulled back so his eyes would stare deeply into my own.

"Ashton, your face," I croaked, my fingers running over a prominent bruise on his chin.

He groaned and shook his head, "It's fine." Right then, he leaned forward, forehead touching mine and sighed. "I made him pay. I gave that asshole what he deserves," his body stiffened as he whispered.

I studied his face and thanked God that he was okay, safe, in one peace. Bruised, yes, but alive. With that in mind, I went on my tip toes (well, only on one foot) and placed my lips onto his own. I kissed him softly and he instantly replied. It was like we were both showing each other our relief. It's finally over.

"I love you Sam. I love you so fucking much," he whispered only for me to hear as we pulled back.

I was about to reply, but Carol came up to us with a stern glare sent to her son.

"Hey mom," Ashton mumbled, rubbing at the back of his neck.

Carol tried to hold her emotions but failed. She wrapped her arms around her son and repeated how much she loved him and was so scared and is grateful he is okay. But it was when she stepped back that surprised us all. She whacked him against the back of his head.

"Hey," Ashton whined like a small kid.

"You're a real idiot Ashton Weston," Carol stated. She hit his arm next which made Ashton hiss.

"Watch it mom," he held his arm closer to his body.

Anna came rushing to her brother then, hugging him with caution. It was a nice sight to see the two show such love and care for one another. Chace, Kayla, and Aaron followed. They each gave a quick hug to Ashton, each giving him a narrowed "you're an idiot" look.