Chapter 38

The chatter of the people in the gymnasium was intensifying by each passing minute. It was crazy the amount of people that place can fit. With rows of chairs and a stage placed at the front, the gymnasium was unrecognizable.

Today was the day. Our graduation day. Everyone was dressed and giddy for the ceremony. All students had their gowns and caps on, waiting with excitement outside the gymnasium.

"God, this is taking for ever," huffed Anna from my side.

"Stop complaining," Ashton smirked at his sister from my other side.

My fiery friend stuck her tongue out to her brother, making us chuckle at her childish antics.

"You nervous Sam?" Kayla asked me, referring to the speech I had to give as honorary student.

"Yeah," I breathed out.

"Don't worry, you'll do great. We all know it," Kayla winked at me.

I gave her a thankful smile and we settled into easy conversation.

We were finally seated in the rows of chairs placed at the front of the stage for us students. The seated parents erupted in cheers when our principal gave the queue for our entrance. My eyes skimmed the many faces and spotted Carol and her father, beaming and clapping. I smiled at that, a part of me unable to brush away the disappointment that my mother didn't even consider showing up.

Our principal started off his speech. We all listened, fidgety and in nerves for the moment to be called up to be handed our diplomas.

Name after name was finally being called. Chace, Kayla, and Aaron had already been called. We waited for Anna, Ashton and my name. I was left for the end so that I'd start my speech straight away.

"Anna Weston," our principal called.

I heard Carol's cheers from the back and Ashton yell out from beside me as Anna walked up to retrieve her diploma. She shook hands with the principal, grabbed her diploma, paused for a picture, and walked off with a beam.

"Ashton Weston."

Ashton turned to me with a beam, placed a peck on my lips and got up to the stage. He shook hands with the principal as we cheered, paused for a picture and walked off.

"And lastly, our honorary student, Samantha McHale."

Taking a deep breath in, I grabbed my crutches and walked off to the stage. Ashton was by the two steps, he helped me up and wished me luck as I headed to the principal.

"Congratulation Sam," the principal told me, shaking my hand as he handed me my diploma.

I smiled to the crowd and then made my way to the microphone propped on a stand.

"Ladies and Gentleman, good evening," my voice boomed across the gymnasium, silencing the cheers and whispers. "When I was told that as an honor student I had to give a speech, I wasn't so sure I'd accept it. To tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of public speaking as you'll see," I chuckled, my fingers already starting to twitch on the stand. I heard some chuckles, and that made me relax just a bit.

"When I first started writing this speech, I wrote a list of names to thank, I wrote about the good and the bad times in school, and many as such," I paused to take a look at everyone around me. "I went through it with my dear teacher, Ms Ross, whom, firstly, I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such an important person in school and in life," I turned to Ms Ross who was sitting beside the principal on the stage, "Thank you for everything," I smiled at her as she placed a hand on her heart and smiled. I faced the people in front of me and continued, "Anyway, when I went through it with Ms Ross she told me it was okay, but she knew I could do better, she knew I could touch people with my words and convey a message on this final day."