Chapter 35

I remember once, when I was eight years old, my dad and I were in the living room watching cartoons when suddenly the doorbell rang. My dad got up from beside me and after a few seconds I followed behind. There was a police man by my mom's side at the door. I remember my dad's eyes bulge out. I remember the police saying he caught my mom driving under the influence of alcohol. I remember my dad apologizing to the police officer as he told my mom to get into the house. I also remember the huge fight they had. I specifically remember that after that day, my mom never got into a car ever again except when she had to go identify my father's body after he had the accident. My mom's red Ford has been in the back of the garage, covered, and ever since that day, I haven't seen it...until the detectives showed me the car the cameras caught. The car that purposely crashed into us.

Ashton and the detectives were waiting for me to say something as we all fell into silence after I announced that the car was my mother's. But I couldn't form words. It was impossible for my brain to muster up words to say.

"Are you sure this is your mother's car?" One of the detectives thankfully broke the silence.

I looked up at him and nodded. "I'm sure. The chipped paint at the side, the drops of paint on the windowpane. That's it. It has been sitting in the garage for ages. I know the car."

The detectives looked at each other before looking back at me and Ashton. "Okay. We'll go question your mother. If there is anything else then please call us. We'll let you know what happens."

With that, they say good bye and walk out.

After the detectives' departure, I found myself calming Ashton...rather than it being the other way (I'm in no way complaining, because I actually wasn't freaking out). Ashton got into a fit of cusses and furious pacing. He might have repeated more than once that he was going to rip whoever has done its head off. I didn't want him to end behind bars, so I urged him to sit next to me and so I just held him as he calmed down. Just as he held me multiple times.

Tomorrow I'll finally be discharged. Just one more night and I'll be able to leave this room. I'll have to stay at Carol's for a while, but I have no problem with that. Dr Davis gave me the good news after my usual check up. At least it was news that made the rest of my day a bit more better.

I was able to move around now. Sitting and moving around has never seemed so appealing. At first, I had to be wheeled around in a wheelchair, but now I've mastered the use of crutches. They ache your armpits and are tiring but they help me move around with the heavy cast holding my foot. Oh, and the best thing is I can finally go to pee on my own, without anyone helping me. Just like now.

Walking out...no, actually, it's more like limping out, I found Ashton chatting with Ms Ross.

Ms Ross?

"Oh Samantha," Ms Ross beamed as both her and Ashton turned to face me as my cast made a sweeping sound on the ground when limping.

"Ms Ross," I beamed back, limping faster and letting her engulf me in a hug. I slightly winced when my ribs ached at the contact. Ms Ross pulled back, alarmed. "It's okay. I'm fine," I assure her. Ashton then comes to help me onto the bed as I sit back and rest against the plopped pillows.

"Oh, I'm so happy you're okay," Ms Ross grinned, her hand clasping onto mine.

"I'm glad I'm back as well," I chuckled.

"I asked Carol to inform me the minute you open your eyes. I couldn't come at once due to classes but I left the minute I got my lunch break."