Chapter 26

It was cold. The weather has finally cooled. The weeks passed by quickly. The pregnancy wasn't easy. The morning sickness is pretty hard. Aaron and Anna eventually cleared things between them. He promised her that some day he will eventually introduce her to his parents but not now when they're pressuring him about his future. I haven't heard from my mother or from George. Most importantly, there hasn't been any news about Kevin. But for now, I'm not going to let my mind wander on that. I don't think it can handle such thought with the dreaded day right around the corner reminding me of the loss my heart has been aching for the past four years.

******

It was raining. Pouring rain like I've never witnessed before. I kind of liked it, but I found it depressing at the same time. Mrs Roberts said we couldn't leave the building, so we had to spend our lunch breaks in the gym or the library. And now, I had to wait in the hallways, waiting for my dad to come pick me up. They treated us like babies, what is some rain going to do to us? Well, it was pouring like never before... Anyway, I'm nine, not four! It won't hurt. Just then, the door to the hallway creaked open. An umbrella was thrusted inside first, and then my face broke into a smile and ran to the umbrella's owner.

"Daddy,"I squealed, wrapping my arms around him.

I heard him chuckle, "Hey rose cheek."

I narrowed my eyes at him. He always used that nickname. It was funny, and I kinda liked it. But just for fun, I had seem displeased.

"Come on, let's go," Dad rubbed my back as he held my hand and pulled me closer to him so he can hold the umbrella over both of us. As we stepped out, I understood why they didn't let us out. Not only was it pouring rain. It was freezing. Like really, really freezing. I guess my dad sensed how hard I was hit by the change of weather, so he nudged my hand and gave me a grin.

"Ready to make a run for it?" His eyes gleamed as I giggled, nodding my head.

And so, we ran as carefully as we could to his car. He helped me slide into the backseat without getting much raindrops onto me. Then, he hurried to the driver's side, slipping in. Just as he shut the door, he turned the heater on and I was so grateful for the warmth.

"So how was first day of school?" My dad asked as we were on the way home, his eyes diverting to mine on the mirror for a second before they went back to the road.

"It was good, but it felt too long," I mumbled, huffing at the end.

My dad let out a laugh, making me smile. I always liked how carefree his laugh was. It was the only thing that gave our house life, I guess that's why I liked to hear it much.

"OhSamantha," he breathed out, "I'm sure you'll get used to it."

Once we got home and my dad parked the car in the garage, both our moods dwindled down. We knew what to expect the moment we stepped in. My dad took my hand and we made our way to the front door. I was glad the rain calmed down now as it wasn't necessary for an umbrella as we only took a few steps to the front door. My dad stopped in front of the door. He heaved a sigh and looked down to me. My eyes reflected the sadness I felt to know that once we're inside, it'll be like another world.

"It's okay baby. Just as we always do," and with his other hand out, I chuckled.

I slapped my own onto his, then held my own out for his, and for the finisher we placed our thumb on our noses and wiggled our fingers, laughing in the process. It was our handshake of some sorts. My dad always did it when we were faced with a challenge, where when he sensed I wasn't feeling good, or that I was sad. I loved him for that. And just as we dropped our hands, my dad braced himself and opened the door.