Chapter 32

Ashton's POV

It was quicker than a blink. Quicker than a snap of fingers. Even quicker than pronouncing a single letter. The light blinded my eyes. I looked to the side and met headlights making their way to the side of my truck. With panic, I tried to reach out to Samantha and pull her closer, away from the window, but it was too quick. In less than a millisecond I felt the truck being hit. On impact, it swayed to the side and that's when I thought I was going to die. We were going to die.

The truck rolled a few times. I felt my body being spun and hit. My head was being bumped against metal, glass, and something else. In midst of it all, I tried to reach for Sam, I tried to pull her away from harm. It was hopeless. The car stopped rolling, my eyes were drooping. I couldn't help it. I fought hard but eventually I knew I was falling into darkness.

Somehow, my eyes blinked open. I looked around me and jumped at the memory of what happened, of where I was. My head snapped to the side and I panicked when I didn't find Sam. The door of the truck where she sat must've come off. Where is she? My door was jammed. I unbuckled my belt, pain shooting through my arm and up my side. Hissing, I tried once, twice, thrice to kick open the door. Panting in pain, it finally budged and I kicked it open and crawled out. I could feel some warm liquid on my forehead. My fingers reached up and when I examined them they were covered in blood. Shit! I looked around and what I saw gripped my heart and chest, disabling oxygen to enter my body for a mere second. I stumbled up and rushed over to Sam's limp body on the ground. Blood was covering the ground by her head. Her leg looked bad, her face was pressed onto the gravel. Blood was pooled by her side. Shattered glass was pierced into her upper arm. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I knelt next to her.

"Sam," I croaked out. I knew she wouldn't answer me but it involuntarily came out.

I moved the hair away from her bloodied face. I looked over her body and my eyes bulged as they zeroed in on her belly. Oh god. Oh god...the baby...the baby!! I looked around me desperately. No one was around. How couldn't anyone have heared the accident? Who the fuck could do this and then run off?

Sam's head rested on my lap. I needed to hold her, I needed to do something. I looked at the truck. It was gone, no use. Then I remembered. My hand shoved into my pocket and I retrieved my phone. It was cracked. The screen was completely cracked. The edges and corners were chipping off. Please god, please. I prayed hard as I tried to turn it on. It worked!!

"C'mon, c'mon," I mumbled shakily as it rang after I quickly dialed 911. A few seconds later and a lady's voice crackled against my ear with her stupid introductory.

"I need an ambulance I need help. My girlfriend and I were in an accident. She's unconscious and is losing too much blood please help me," I yelled helplessly down the phone.

"Sir, sir please stay calm, we'll track the number and help will be on its way. Make sure to stay put and don't move."

I thanked her and she reassured me that an ambulance was out and on its way.

"Sam please hold on. Please Sam, don't leave me okay? Please hold on," I croaked out as my thumb caressed her bruised and bloodied cheek.

Just when I thought I was going to lose it, a siren was approaching. I looked up and sure enough an ambulance approached, screeching to a stop a few steps away. Two paramedics, a woman and a man, rushed to us with their equipment.

"How long has she been unconscious?" Asked the guy as he slowly moved Sam's head from my lap and onto the ground.

"I-I don't know. The car rolled over and when I got out I found her here," I stammered. "You have to help her please," I almost cried.