Chapter 24

If you'd drop a pin right about now, I'm pretty sure it'd sound like you've dropped a cup made of glass. No one uttered a word. Not me, nor Ashton. What do you tell your boyfriend's grandpa when he asks you if you're pregnant? How could I possibly tell him that yes I am but it wasn't his grandson's child? I couldn't. All I could do was stand next to Ashton, my eyes wide, my mouth slightly parted. How could he have found out? That was all I had going around in my head. Meanwhile, beside me, Ashton was clasping my hand, his fingers tight around my own. He too wasn't able to utter a word to his grandpa. But just as the silence was dragging on, Carol walked up to us, wiping her hand with a towel.

"What's holding..." and she stopped there as she noticed the aura surrounding us. "What's wrong?" Her eyes moved from my face, to Ashton's, to her father's, and then back to me.

"Your son's girlfriend is pregnant, ain't she?"

Carol's face blanched as she stared wide eyed at her father.

"I may be old Carol, but I know pregnancy symptoms and I can tell that you're all trying to hide it," Mr Weston stated firmly.

"Dad, it's not..." but she was cut off as Ashton spoke up, surprising us.

"Yeah. She's pregnant grandpa."

Everyone fell silent, and I withdrew my hand from Ashton's grasp as I faced him with incredulousness. Mr Weston inhaled deeply, shaking his head and rubbing his forehead.

"Oh son," he sighed softly. "I warned you. We spoke about being careful and about precautions. This is exactly what happens when you act without thinking."

The thing that surprised me was that he wasn't mad. It seemed like he was sad. Sad that Ashton wasn't smart enough to follow his advices. And then it hit me, and I gasped with horror as I now stared at Mr Weston.

"No. No, no, no," I rushed in a breath. "Yes, I am pregnant, but it isn't your grandson's. He didn't do this to me."

Mr Weston was now looking at me with confusion and Ashton was glaring at me.

"Sam," Ashton hissed, wanting me to shut up obviously.

"No. I'm not going to let you do this," I snapped at him. I realized that this is the first time we were snapping at one another.

"Hold up. What do you mean it's not Ashton's? You cheated on my grandson?" Now he was looking at me with angry, glaring eyes. He didn't look like the sweet old man anymore.

"Dad," Carol glared at her father.

"I didn't cheat on Ashton. I would never do that," I murmured.

"Samantha you don't have to do this," Ashton whispered next to me, sweet and caring now.

Shaking my head, I intertwined our fingers as I bravely looked at Mr Weston and told him. Standing next to Ashton, with Carol next to her father, the four of us next to the little bathroom, I told Mr Weston all that happened the past few weeks. Slowly, with every word out of my mouth, Mr Weston's eyes widened and softened, and finally when I was done he clasped a hand on Ashton's shoulder and another on my arm.

"I'm glad you decided to tell me. Whatever you need, I'm here," Mr Weston rubbed my arm up and down, in a fatherly way. 

My eyes teared up and I nodded with appreciation.

Mr Weston took off after we had tea and sat down to talk, because that's what family does after dinner. Something I never had the pleasure of experiencing. Carol wanted us to stay for the night, but in the end we left to go to Ashton's apartment as it would be my first night there. My first night in my new home, my boyfriend's flat that is. It was new to me and it left me in a nervous wreck as we we clambered into Ashton's car and headed to his apartment.