56: Blood

Amaterasu was sitting on the throne she created inside the Ionian chambers. Despite how lazy it sounded, that's all she's been doing. She figured that waiting for Grey is the only thing she can currently do, along with keeping her brother from burning down the place when he got drunk.

The doors to the chamber opened, Ama opened her eyes to see who it was to see it was Irelia. The Blade Dancer seemed a little hesitant to approach, but seeing that the sun goddess didn't show any sign of being against it, she came in.

"Is there something you need, Xan Irelia?" Amaterasu asked as the captain of the Ionian guards stopped in front of her.

Irelia nodded in confirmation. "Yes, you see…" she trailed off, seemingly still hesitant.

"Come now, child, speak up," Amaterasu encouraged, sounding as supportive as possible.

Taking a deep breath, the Blade Dancer finally spoke. "Why the Abyss Watcher?" Amaterasu's raised eyebrow caused Irelia to keep speaking. "Why did you pick him specifically? He is no Ionian, no spiritual Warrior, and no one special to Ionia. So, why did you choose him for Godhood?"

Amaterasu seemed amused, judging by the smile on her face. She didn't blame Irelia for being skeptical. Being from the house of Xan, she was bound to be someone who upholds the traditions. "You are right, he is none of those things," Irelia seems to be taken back by the sun goddess admitting it. "However, he does have something that Ionians search for, and that is Balance," the Blade Dancer seemed more confused. "Tell me, what do you think Balance is?"

Irelia seemed to be in thought for a few seconds before answering. "I believe that Balance is the state of being one with your own spirit, being in an equal state of mind all the time."

"Of course you do," Amaterasu mumbled rolling her eyes, as if have heard that answer a hundred times already and was tired of it. "This is why we didn't set foot in Ionia for such a long time. You people have lost the true meaning of Balance," the look Irelia gave her asked for an explanation. "Balance is about accepting yourself as who you are. It is about accepting the past, not worrying yourself with the future, and focusing on the present. That is why I picked Okami, because he has that Balance within himself."

The Blade Dancer raised an eyebrow. "By Okami, you mean the Abyss Watcher?" she asked to make sure and the sun goddess nodded. "Well, couldn't you have at least picked someone Ionian?"

"Ionia cannot survive fighting on its own," Amaterasu said and Irelia seemed like she would protest but the sun goddess spoke again. "I am not denying the strength of Ionia, but even you have to admit that, sooner or later, a time will come where it needs help. Tell me, what do you plan to do when Mordekaiser comes for Ionian?"

At that question, Irelia remained silent. Truthfully, she was actually downright frightened of the day that Mordekaiser might come for Ionia. After all, Noxus, the land that scarred Ionia, was just the leftovers of Mordekaiser's old kingdom. It took the entire Noxian army and traitors from Mordekaiser's own forces to bring him down the first time.

And, even then, the tyrant still came back and managed to take back a part of Noxus along with a part of the Shadow Isles all on his own. Not to mention that, to a necromancer as powerful as Mordekaiser, Ionia is like an infinite well of power that he can tap into just by standing on the spiritual land.

All and all, Ionia actually had no way to fight Mordekaiser should he set his sights on Ionia, and would really need allies. "I see your point," Irelia admitted, although a little reluctantly. "But, I'm not willing to befriend ourselves with Noxians."

Amaterasu smirked at that statement. "Really? Because I remember that you have a soft spot for a certain Noxian exile," as soon as she said that, her mouth was covered by the hands of a red-faced Irelia.