FORTY-TWO

Kola 

It's been two weeks since Julianna was born and she's still in the NICU. Justice and I go up there every day from the time the visitation starts to the time it ends. Unfortunately, her mother hasn't done the same.

"Look at this shit," Justice turned his phone around and showed me a video of Ashely in the club drinking and shaking her ass with the caption 'When you just had a baby 3 weeks ago'.

"Dumb bitch don't even know when she gave birth," He shook his head.

"Justice don't even worry about it-"

"No, I have to worry about it because that's who my daughter has to go home with. I'ma just do what I said I was gon do."

"And what's that?" I asked expecting him to say kill her or something.

"Getting full custody." I was shocked to hear that and I kinda froze up for a second. "I mean cause this shit is ridiculous. I can't trust her and I'll be dammed if anything happens to my child because then I'ma really be in jail."

"You sure you wanna do that?" His head snapped up at me and he just stared. "I-I mean because Justice what do you know about raising a baby?"

"I'll learn. Look Kola if this is too much for you to handle or you have any sort of resentment towards my child then you can go too. I fuck with you and everything but my daughter is going to always come first if you can't get down with it then step." He stood up snatched his plate off of the table then left.

I ran my fingers through my hair sighing. I didn't know what I wanted to do. Half of me wanted to leave and go pack my shit and the other half wanted to stay and be there for Justice.

I chose the second half and walked back upstairs where he was staring at Julianna through a window.

"I'm jealous, not resentful," I said catching his attention. "And I'm pissed. Ashely gave birth to this beautiful little girl and she's not even here while she needs her. But God takes away my baby," I mumbled the last part but I knew he heard me.

"It just wasn't our time Ko. We're going to have a baby I promise."

"It's not that I want one right now but it's just I don't understand why God takes babies away from mothers that will do right and give them to mothers that's not about shit. I just don't understand."

I know that you aren't supposed to question God, but sometimes I don't know what to believe.

"I don't know either," he shook his head. "All I know is that this little girl is going to be good no matter what and for that to happen I need to trust you," He turned back to me. "I know you would never do anything bad to her but I need to know that you'll treat her and love her like your own. Because what if we have our own kids Julianna will be able to feel that you're treating her differently."

"I promise that I will treat and love her like my own. I love her already I mean look at her how could not?" I looked down at her and I couldn't help but smile.

I know everyone handles things differently and I couldn't imagine my child being in the NICU but shaking your ass in the club is a very odd way to handle something like this. I'm not trying to judge Ashely, because I never been in this situation but that's something that I don't think I would do.

A couple of hours later a nurse came and informed Justice that he would be able to take Julianna home today. She was doing so much and now she didn't have any problems breathing.

He tried to call Ashely and at first, her phone rang but then it started going straight to voicemail. He sent her a text letting her know what was happening and she read it but didn't respond.