THIRTEEN

July 12, 2000

"Kola clean up them toys before daddy gets home," Nodding her head Kola started to put her legos back in the toy bin. She knew that if her daddy came home and they weren't up he would have a fit.

"Mommy can we fix brownies," The five-year-old asked looking up at her mother. Yuko smiled nodding.

"Later on tonight sure but you have to eat up all of your food." That sounded like a good deal to Kola. "Come sit so I can fix your hair. Now tell me how it got like this?" Kola shrugged giggling as her mother started to fix her crooked ponytail. "Maybe daddy will let you get some braids."

"Yayy," She bounced clapping her hands together. Her mother had braids and Kola wanted them so bad. Daddy wouldn't let her get them though and since Yuko wasn't the best at hairstyles a ponytail it was.

Minutes later Yuko had finished Kola's hair and the two were waiting for Aspect to come home. Kola sat happily looking out the window. She loved her daddy so much and she knew he loved her too he just had a hard time showing it. He wasn't brought up to really show his emotions.

Soon a red Cadillac came around and the corner and pulled up into the driveway. Kola's eyes lit up as the tall, dark-skinned man stepped out of the car.

"Daddy's home!" She screaming running towards the door. It opened revealing the obviously upset man. Kola didn't recognize that he didn't want to be bothered so as soon as she saw him she jumped up wrapping her arms around his legs. "Welcome home daddy," She smiled up at him.

"Get off me girl," His harsh voice yelled as he pushed his daughter away from him in disgust. That didn't faze Kola as she ran off to grab her notebook from the table.

"Look at what I made you," She held up a drawing that had 'WORLD'S BEST DADDY' written across with a stick figure that was supposed to her father.

"Ugh," he pushed past her and into the kitchen. Kola's smile dropped as she turned the picture around and looked at it.

Daddy doesn't have green skin, she thought laughing. That's why he didn't like it. She grabbed her crayons then ran back over to the table to fix her mistake. While she drew she could hear her parents in the kitchen.

"You need to be nicer to her, Aspect. She just a child," Yuko scolded her husband. "All she wanted to do was make a picture for her daddy."

"What? I know you not talking to me like that."

"I am," She stood up to him. Yuko hated the way Aspect talked to Kola. She knew that once Kola grew up that would have a negative effect on her.

A sharp slap echoed through the house causing Kola to jump. She placed her crayons down and started to run into the kitchen to see what happened.

"Kola stay in there honey. Just finish up your picture," Yuko's strained voice said stopping her dead in her tracks. Kola not wanting to be disobedient turned and walked back over to her little pink table.

Oh no, daddy's mad again, she thought as she went back to her picture.

"Don't ever tell me what not to do again bitch do you hear me!" Aspect's voice shook the walls as he wrapped his thick hands around Yuko's neck. She fought to catch her breath when he finally let her go. "You know what I'm sick of this shit." He stormed out of the kitchen leaving Yuko on the ground coughing.

Kola looked up as he walked past her and up the stairs. There was a ton of noise coming from up there but Kola didn't dare to move. A couple of minutes later Yuko had finally gotten up from off the floor. She stood beside the wall with her hands clutching her throbbing neck.