Did You Kiss Him?

"Are you okay?!" Mary came rushing into the foyer when her three oldest arrived home. She put her hand on Danny's head, "the nurse said you have a concussion?"
"Again?" Joe wondered, raising his eyebrows.
"Joseph," Mary warned. "Are you okay?"
"I'm fine, Mom. Just a little dizzy with a major headache." Danny shrugged like it was no big deal.
"I'm gonna check you every two hours. Go do your homework." She patted his shoulder and went back to the kitchen. 
Danny raised his eyebrows, and walked up to his room. He plopped his book bag down on the bed and started to get to work.
***********
"Linda, can I ask you a question?" AJ looked up from his homework.
"Sure." Linda turned her head to face him.
"What's with you and Danny?"
She blinked, "what do you mean?"
"I mean.... you seem— really friendly. I mean, really friendly."
She shrugged, "we are. We're really good friends."
"But.... only friends, right?"
She paused for a second, "of course."
"You hesitated."
"No, I- I didn't." She watched him raise his brow, "listen, AJ. Danny and I see each other a lot. I tutor his little brother, and we have that damn self-esteem class together. But that's pretty much it..... I'm not cheating."
AJ nodded, "okay."
"Really? You believe me? Just like that?" She snapped her fingers, surprised. If she was AJ, she'd know she was lying.
"Yeah. Why shouldn't I?"
She shrugged, "no reason."
AJ was about to say something else when the phone rang.
Saved by the bell, Linda thought as she stood up to answer it. "Hello?.... oh, hi, Valeria! Uh, listen, can I call you back around seven thirty? I've got a study date.... no, it's not Danny. It's AJ.... alright, talk to you later. Bye-bye." She hung up and sat back down. She smiled at AJ, hoping she wasn't in the doghouse.
"Something's going on with you and Reagan." AJ frowned, looking at his girlfriend.
"Nothing's going on!" She reiterated. Although I wish it was. "Look, we just talk-"
"Are you sure?"
"What do you think we do? Go at it like rabbits?! I told you, I'm saving myself for my husband."
"So you haven't had sex. Have you kissed him?"
Linda hesitated longer than she previously had, "no."
"You're lying."
"No- no I'm not." He voice wavered.
"Whoever says it like that is, in fact, lying."
"Okay, fine! I kissed him. I didn't mean to at first. It's just— he kissed me first, and I gave in. But I was vulnerable at that point.... at least he actually came to check on me after the whole thing with LaRue. You didn't come or call. At all. And when I ran away, who came into the amusement park after me? Danny. Not you."
"That's because he told us he could handle it."
"And you just stood by the side lines! Maybe he did kiss me in the amusement park. Maybe if it wasn't for my mother, I would've let him go farther. I don't know! But right now, he's looking a lot better than you."
AJ sighed, "did you like it? Kissing him, I mean."
Linda looked down at her book. "I- I.... yes."
He nodded, "I guess I know where I stand. I hope you get herpes." AJ packed his stuff and walked out, half expecting Linda to follow him. He sighed as walked down the stairs, tossing his bag over his shoulder.
"Oh, AJ. Leaving so soon?" Anna wondered, unaware of what had happened.
"Uh, yeah. I'm starting to feel a little nauseous."
"Oh dear."
"I'm fine, though." He opened the door and left.
Back upstairs, Linda closed her eyes, and put her arms on the table. She hid her face in her arms, feeling like she wanted to cry.