I hesitantly took the seat which had my name on it and looked around the room. I tried to smile to those who made eye contact but it was just weird. “Hunny, I need to speak to a few people. Try to have some fun.” My dad told me as he patted my shoulder and left. Oh great, he is leaving me alone.

“How can you tell when a lawyer is lying?” A familiar voice told me as he took the seat next to mine.

I turned to face the 22 year old Allen and raised my eyebrow in amusement. “I have a feeling you’re about to tell me.”

He smirked and looked around the room before whispering in my ear “their lips are moving.”

I couldn’t help the laugh that escaped my lips even though it was met with quiet glares from those around us. “I missed you.” I eventually told him as he leant away from me.

He smiled radiantly at me, showing me his pearly whites, as he winked in my direction. “A lot of women tell me that.”

“I’m not a woman. I’m just a girl.” I told him which caused him to roll his eyes.

“Could have fooled me Rain. You look absolutely stunning tonight.” Even though he voiced those words in a playful matter, his eyes were definitely doing the opposite as he began to scan my body.

I have to admit, Allen is a good looking guy. With his nice wide smile and his muscular body, he was a good catch. His great sense of humour just adds to his image. “You look great too.” I told him truthfully.

He smiled at me and then asked if I would like to dance. I was about to decline the offer, but thought otherwise. Allen, for some strange reason, makes me feel comfortable, so why not leap at the chance while I’m stuck in this godforsaken work party?

After two dances, my dad interrupted, asking if I would like to meet some ‘interesting’ people. I wanted to refuse but I knew my dad had something up his sleeve and it made me a little curious. So, I did the most appropriate thing in this sort of situation and gave Allen a little peck on the cheek, thanking him for the dances.

Walking towards the outskirts of the room, I noticed a man and a woman who were paying close attention to my dad and I as we walked towards them. As we got closer, I noticed the man looked to be in his mid 50’s, with dark hair that was swept to the side. The woman however, looked to be in her mid 40’s, with blonde hair that cascaded down the side of her face. She appeared to be studying me with those piercing dark eyes of hers as she took a sip from her wineglass.

“Fred, Lorraine, this is my daughter Rain.” A smile automatically appeared on my face as the man took my hands in his and shook it firmly. The smile faltered a little when the woman just stared at me, not bothering to shake my hand or do any gesture of acknowledgement.

“Nice to meet you both.” I stated politely.

The man smiled widely but the woman seemed to not be interested. My dad, noticing this, stumbled over a few words when he was making some small talk but then the woman, Lorraine, I think, sighed dramatically. “What’s the difference between the district and supreme court?” She asked, looking directly at me.

I didn’t know why I was asked this, but I answered the question easily which made my dad smile a little. She seemed to be studying me under a new light, now that she knew that I knew the difference between the two courts. That’s why I wasn’t surprised when she asked me more questions about the legal system. My answers seemed to be longer and my thought out as she continued to ask me harder questions. Eventually, the man interrupted, telling Lorraine to stop asking questions.

“You might just have what it takes to be successful in this industry.” Lorraine finally said, surprising me with the compliment.

“Thanks but I’m only 17 and still have to finish another year of high school. My preferences might change.” I said to Lorraine, not noticing that my dad and that man, Fred, have left me alone with her.