Part 35: Who Are You?

- W-What?
- Oh, no... Michael! It's me! Sean! Your cousin?
- I'm sorry, young sir... I don't know you. I've never seen you in my life. Neither of you.
    John stepped back towards the door, shaking his head with fear and shock.
- No, no, no...
He whispered, opened the door and ran off,having no idea where he was going. Sean wanted to catch up with him, but beingshocked too, he didn't move. At the hallway, John bumped on the girls, whotried to talk to him, but didn't pay any attention to them. Emily took actionand ran after him, dictating Evelyn and Amy:
- I'm on it, you find out what happened!
    Evelyn and Amy obeyed and ran at the oppositedirection, whereas Emily kept running behind John, who opened the first door hefound leading outside; it led to a small park within the hospital grounds. Hesat on a bench and started crying, not caring if anyone was there; thankfully,the park was empty. Emily, who had caught up, walked slowly to reclaim herbreath towards John. She sat next to him without saying anything; even thoughshe feared what had happened and wanted to know, she didn't want to upset Johnmore. Therefore, all she did was passing John some tissues, who stared at herfor a moment before taking them. Emily waited, looking at the only tree in thepark, to give John space and time.

    John finally spoke, still sobbing:
- He-He doesn't remember me! He doesn't remember anything! I-I believed everything w-would be okay when he woke up, b-but it's not! He doesn't know who I am, who Sean is... He remembers nothing. NOTHING!
    John used another tissue, still sobbing, murmuring:
- Nothing...
- ...Oh, man...
- ...
- Any more details on this?
- I-I don't know. I just ran off...
- I guess we'll know soon. Is Sean still with him?
- Y-Yeah...
- Then he'll learn more with Evelyn and Amy. There may still be hope.
    Hearing that last word, John stopped crying. Hewiped the last tears and blew his nose, remembering how hope had gotten himfar. How he hadn't let anyone and anything stop him from living, even when hislife was at the worst. He hadn't given up. He still had hope. But could hopehelp him now? Then, another memory displayed in his head...
- Then why do you feel awkward? What exactly happened? Do you want to tell me?
- Why would I? Why do you even care?
- Because if both of you decide to stay, you have to learn to cooperate. So, you have to forget the past and look at the future. But before you do, you should clarify your relationship. And also, I have the responsibility to make sure you're alright. And if you're not, I need to know the reason so that I can help. That's why I care.
- I guess you're right... So... Let me tell you a really long story that started 16 years ago
...
- Emily?
- Yes?
- This... might sound weird, but why are YOU of all people the one who followed me here?
    Emily scratched her head, messing her shorthair, which had started growing longer, and answered:
- Well... I might be your ex, but I'm still yourfriend. Besides, there was a time where you were almost as open to me as you areto Michael. The first time we had a one-to-one chat, you somehow opened up tome, even when later on you yourself told me you had stopped trusting peoplebefore auditioning for the show.
- I... I just talked to you because if I were towork with you and the others, all of you would eventually know about... Youknow.
- Yeah, and after that you greatly opened up to me,and then I opened up to you! Which was probably one of the reasons we became acouple in the first place.
- ...
- I had a lot of time to think during the tour,John, and I regret neither meeting any of you, nor being your girlfriend. Yes,I was heartbroken, but we both knew it was the right thing. Besides, I now knowyou're way happier with Michael than you ever were with me. And Evelyn knows ittoo, THAT'S WHY we're not the type of jealous exes who want you back.
- ...
- The point is, I still care about you, John, and I'm willing to help you more as your friend than your ex. Again, I don't regret our romance, but it belongs to the past. Now we have to focus on the present.
- ...Thank you, Emily.
- You're welcome. So, are you ready to go back?
- I... I don't know...
- Take all the time you need. I'll be ready when you are.
- Okay... Thank you.