The Way Things Are

You sighed. Staring down at the papers that laid strewn across your desk made all the past stress seem too real. Instead of fading away into a memory...the hard work, tears and heartache intensified a hundred fold.
The past ten months had been really hard. You'd broken off the most wonderful relationship because he was a rising star. With all the magazines and articles...you knew once he was famous; you just wouldn't be good enough. You'd pushed a lot of people away, not wanting help or advice. You had to prove to yourself that you could be successful without him. That you could ascend the corporate ladder and make a name for yourself. Today, hopefully all of this would pay off at a meeting with your boss and his client.
Carefully you organized the papers into the correct order and placed them in a folder. After wiping away the few tears that had fallen you made your way to the meeting room. Within a few minutes the client and Mr. Hearthston came into room.
Everyone exchanged greetings and handshakes before settling in. Opening the folder as you began, you walked both of them through the creative process about how you designed the home and landscape given the likes and dislikes of the client. You even went as far as to list the different contractors and there estimated quotes; allowing the client to see their options in regards to the financial arena for their new home.
The air filled with silence as the client looked everything over, "Everything looks great. I'm very pleased with this. However, I've decided to go with another design company." You sat up a little straighter, "Oh, okay. Is there anything we could do in order for you to reconsider?" Before he could respond Mr. Hearthston raised his hand to stop you from speaking any further, "That's alright, (Y/N). He and I have already discussed the situation. He'll be taking your plans with him to his new company and of course you will be paid the base compensation for the creative rights on the designs." You nodded, not quite understanding what had just occurred as he and the client left.
Slowly, it all clicked. You had just been used. Lied to. Robbed. The base compensation wouldn't even scratch the hours of over time spent dedicated to those plans. Furious, you stormed back to your office and grabbed your purse. Being here for the next few hours would only make things worse. Instead you were going to go out for drinks. On the way to your go to spot you rang up a friend to join you. They seemed a bit surprised by the call since it was only 2pm but agreed to meet up anyway.

Over the next few hours the two of you caught up; (F/N) leaned and whispered, "So...have you heard from Bill at all?" His name caught you off guard as a sadness you felt shone through your eyes, "He called a few times and left messages. I never called back. I think that seemed to get the point across." You looked down at the almost empty glass in front of you; finger circling the rim, "Filming the movie probably helped him get over it." (F/N) reached over and rubbed your shoulder, "Hun, I'm positive that he still thinks about you. You two were in love. Pretty sure you still are. I have no idea why you left him. It shocked everyone." You slumped towards the bar, "I don't know... but he's gone now, what's the point." After downing a few more drinks the two of you decided to dance a little. Soon however her phone went off and she had to leave, "Sorry, (Y/N), I have to get home. That was Greg, apparently the twins have a fever and one threw up." You nodded, "Go, go. Don't apologize. Tell Greg I said hi and give the twins a kiss!" She nodded, "Are you going to be okay? Make sure to get a ride home. You've had way to much to drive." Chuckling you pushed her away, "Yes, mom!" She laughed and waved making her way to the door.

Soon, it was time to head home. You stumbled through the exit out in to the cold night air. Leaning against the brick wall you took out your phone and pulled up the Designated Driver App. There were three people close to your area that could come take you home. Normally you would research the choices a little but you could feel the alcohol hitting you so you just clicked the closest. The ringing didn't last long, "Hi, this is Bill, I'll be your designated driver for the evening. Where are you located at the moment?" Your heart stopped, "Bill?" You could hear the hesitation on the other side, "(Y/N)?" You cursed on the inside, "Yeah, hey...sorry. I need a ride home. I didn't know you still worked for DD on the side." He chuckled a bit, "Yeah, not famous yet. The movie doesn't come out for another four months." You nodded even though you couldn't see him. He coughed, "So...want me to come pick you up?" You shook your head, feeling nervous, "Uhm, yeah, I'm just outside of BlueHouse." The phone app clicked off and within a few minutes a familiar looking car came into view.

Bill waved slightly from inside and proceeded to get out and open the passenger door for you. You took a step towards the car, the ground starting to look wobbly from the alcohol, and stumbled to the side a little. "Whoa there," Bill reached out wrapping his arm around your waist to keep you from falling. He chuckled as you looked up at him, "How much did you have to drink?" You smiled faintly, taking in his eyes, "A lot. It was a shit day. Thanks for not letting me eat concrete." He nodded and helped you into his car. The first few minutes were quiet. Bill spoke first, "I still have a pair of boots at my place. If you want them back." You nodded, remembering the ones he was talking about, "Yeah, I like those boots. They're the ones we bought when we went to that tree house camping place." He nodded, "Yeah...that was a fun weekend." You nodded in agreement.

Bill pulled the car over to the side of the road and turned it off. You looked over at him to find him staring at you. Not in anger but in a sad confused way, "(Y/N), why did you break up with me? I mean, I thought we worked well together. I really liked, no- loved, you." He bit his bottom lip out of apprehension. You leaned your head back against the seat, "We did...but you're gonna be famous soon. Face it Bill, people like me aren't with people like you after they become famous. That's the way things are." Bill shook his head, turning his whole body toward you, "What do you mean people like you can't be with people like me?" You sighed now turning towards him too. Using your hands to motion at yourself, you spoke harshly, words slurring a bit, "Bill, hun, look at me. I'm not very pretty compared to actresses in the movies. I'm way too fat. I don't wear makeup that often. You're handsome and sexy. Tall and intelligent. You are going to have women throwing themselves at you. Why would you want to stay with me?"

Bill licked his lips, thinking things through before responding, "(Y/N), you don't get to decide who I can and cannot like. That's mine. It's my right to be interested in anyone I chose, you have no right in taking that away from me." He reached over and placed his hand on your cheek, his thumb rubbing against lovingly, "I love you. I never stopped. You have the prettiest laugh, the brightest smile. You are smart and successful; confidant. You are absolutely stunning to me." You sighed, leaning into his hand, "You mean it? All of it?" He smiled at you, "Yes, I meant it all. In fact," He reached over to the glove compartment and pulled out a small box, "I was going to propose to you that weekend you broke up with me." He handed the box to you and you opened it. Inside was a beautiful engagement ring with a rose gold band. You sighed, tears starting to fall, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I ruined everything." Bill wrapped his arms around you as best he could in a car, holding you to his chest, "It's okay. Everything is okay." He kissed the top of your head, one hand running down it's length, letting you cry.

Afterwards, you wiped your face and he finished driving you home. He helped you out of the car and up the stairs, "Well, it was nice to see you. Get some sleep, (Y/N)." He reached down and took your hand, kissing the top of it. He started to walk away but your wrapped your hand around his, "I never stopped loving you, either, Bill. I think about you all the time. I miss you so, so much." He turned to look at you, tears on the brink of falling but he blinked them away, "I miss you too." Tilting your head up to look into his eyes you spoke softly, "Stay? Please." He pulled you into him, "Of course, I'll stay. I'll always stay with you."