Survivors Pt. 3

The drive down to the main house was a quiet one. In the side mirror of the truck you see the men talking to each other quietly. Not in a panicked way, but in a concerned one. As Conner parked, Tom, Will and Frank all approached the vehicle. You nodded towards them as you hopped down, "Will, can you take the deer over to the processing building for Debbie and Charles?" He nodded as he opened the truck bed and started to pull out the deer. He smiled briefly up at the guys, "Don't worry. You'll be safe here." You nodded at Tom and Frank who gave questioning looks, as you walked toward the bed of the truck, "You guys can come down out of there." The three stood up and got out; it wasn't until now that you noticed how tall they all were. Hesitantly you smiled up at them, "Alright then, let's go get to know one another."

       You turned away from them and lead the way around the house to a smaller building were the council meetings were held. Connor opened the door and watched as everyone piled into the room before slamming the door shut. You took your seat and motioned for everyone else to do the same, "So, Frank and Tom. As you can see, while we were out on our hunt we picked up a few strangers." Connor scoffed, "More like we helped them escape their deaths. A group of Wendigo's had tracked them down here. We barely got out there without you dying." You took in a calm breath as the other two council members began to talk. Frank looked over at Connor, his eyes squinting abit, "Wendigos? What are they doing so close to us? I thought they stayed up north a ways." Tom put his hand in the air, "What do you mean (Y/N) was almost killed?"

         You tucked a piece of hair behind your ear, the pain in your arm not so bad as it had been, "It's just a graze. I'm okay. The leader was a bit faster than I had anticipated and we had to square off. He's dead. I'm not; end of story." You looked over at the three men who all seemed a bit uneasy, "As to why the Wendigo's are down this far...I'm sure they can tell us. First, how about we introduce ourselves. " The group went around saying who they were. The first of the three spoke slowly, "I'm Bill and these are my brothers. Alex and Valter." He shifted in his chair, "Look, we don't want any trouble. You can just let us go." You made eye contact with him, "We'd like to ask you a few questions before we decide if we want you to leave or not." He nodded, "Alright."

      You leaned forward onto the table, "Why are the Wendigo's after you?" The one named Alex spoke, "We were caught in a small home right outside their area. We'd hoped to make it across town without notice but that didn't happen. They took us prisoner. Our sister was separated from us and thrown in with the rest of the woman...who were, well, able to produce offspring. " Your shoulders dropped, "I'm so sorry..." Valter looked down in his lap, "We broke out of our cage and went to find her. We had almost made it out of the main building when they noticed we were gone." Bill finished the story, "We fought them off as best we could while, Valter got us a car. It didn't take us very far but it got us to our rendevouz point with our dad. He took our sister and we split up. The Wendigo's followed us; hopefully our father and sister are a long way from there."

         Frank nodded, "You aren't the only ones we've encountered who are survivors of those bastards. They'll get whats coming to them. I promise you." You agreed but quickly went back to them, "While you were there...did you meet a woman named Luanne Pritchet?" Valter shook his head, "They kept us separate from the women. We only went to the one hold that we had seen them toss our sister in." You shoulders dropped, "That's too bad. She was the mom of one the people here. I was hoping maybe she was still alive." Connor cleared his throat, "How many people have you killed and why?" Bill looked over at him, "None. We haven't killed anyone that wasn't dead already." Connor nodded, "Have you ever sacrificed any member of your company to the dead?" Alex shifted in his seat, "Once...but they had already been bitten. In a place that wasn't removable. They volunteered to be the distraction."

             Tom leaned over to Frank and whispered something in his ear. Frank cleared his throat, "Since the breakout have you committed anything that would be considered a crime?" Valter raised his hand, "Ive stolen several cars in order for my family and I to survive." You smiled a bit, "Last question; would you like to be part of a community that works together in order to survive. Strives to reach a maintainable way of life, helping those we find and destroying things that would otherwise destroy us, or would you rather go along the new paths set before us on you own?"The three brothers talked among themselves before Alex answered, "We'd join a community if they offered us the chance to stay and let us seek out our father and sister when time allowed."

           You stood up, "If you'll just wait here while we talk outside; we'll be back shortly." The late evening sky stared down at you as the other members crowded close. Connor shook his head, "I don't know. They let one of their own sacrifice themselves.." You scoffed, "Remember the time Mitchell saved your ass in town? He just wasn't bitten before hand." Connor rubbed the back of his neck, "Fine.... they can stay." Tom agreed, "It would be nice to have some men around to help with building repairs. No offense, (Y/N), but it'd go a lot faster without all the chit-chatten." You chuckled a bit, "yeah...we can get distracted at times. So all in favor?" The group nodded in unison. You opened the door up, "Come on, let's get you showered before you meet the rest of us. That is, if you want to stay?" The brothers looked at each other, "We'll stay."

            Connor went back to the truck to unload all the guns and ammo back into their spots in the armory. Frank and Tom walked further ahead of you with the guests not to far behind. The smell of dinner cooking wafted through the door as you walked up the steps into the main house. The guys followed you up the stairs and down the hall. You stopped and turned to look at them, " Two of you can shower in these," You pointed to the rooms on either side of you, "Towels and cleaning supplies are already provided. I'll go down to the clothes room to see if we have anything for you. If not it'll be a day or two before Terri and Ashley can get something whipped up for you." They nodded before Alex and Valter went into them and closed the doors. You smiled a bit at Bill, "Well, lucky you. You get to use mine." He smiled briefly as you lead the way to the back room. The council had decided you got the biggest room because you were the "leader" of the group. In truth, you never did anything without getting others opinions, "There is an extra towel in the cabinet." He bit his lip as you turned to leave, "Thank you...for helping us out back there. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't." Giving a quick smile you pat the upper part of his arm, "No problem. Let me go and see about those clothes." The two of you exchanged smiles before he closed the door.