Episode 19: Defense and Healing

Start from the beginning

"Why is it losing its balance bad?"

"It can destabilize it, causing it to collapse on the side or overhead depending on the spot that is receiving the attack."

"Sounds more complex than it looks," I said.

She glanced at me and laughed. "Yeah. Unlike with your wind barrier, which involves blowing away attacks, this one involves absorbing. Even the impact of non-water spells is absorbed by the shield's liquid."

"Ahh, like a shock absorber!" I said.

"Like an airbag?" Raul asked, tilting his head at us.

"Yeah!" I said.

"But can also double as a trampoline," Nyima said.

"Ohhh!" the younger boys said as they overhead us.

I snickered as I turned to look at my brother and cousin's smiles. "I have a feeling that those two are going to be asking you to make water barriers for them."

Raul smiled as well. "It's fine! Sounds fun! We can even play bumper bubbles!"

"Oh, I played that game with my sisters," Nyima said with a snicker.

"Huh... Never knew you were into those kinds of games," I said.

Nyima scoffed. "Is your impression of me that of a dull person who doesn't know how to have fun?"

I scratched my cheek and grinned. "Uhh, sort of, yeah."

Her face turned red. She averted her gaze and cleared her throat. "Moving on, I'll show you a demonstration. Lei, I wish for you to attack me."

I nodded as we stepped back from one another. Raul ran to the side, trying to avoid getting caught in the line of fire. His green eyes focused on Nyima in anticipation.

"Clypeus Aqua!" Nyima yelled. A thin light-blue sphere of water formed around her.

"Ventus Draco!" I yelled as I gathered wind into the palm of my hand. A dragon-shaped gale of wind burst out of my palm.

Nyima held her hands outward, adding more prana into her barrier as my spell struck hers. The water making up her defenses rippled chaotically as it struggled to absorb the full force of my magic.

"I didn't expect you to hit this hard for a demonstration," Nyima said as her water began to calm down.

I grinned. "Ahh, sorry about that! I haven't had a challenge since the Mahoulympics, so I kind of got trigger happy."

"I see. Well, good thing I didn't have you go up against Raul for this."

Raul smirked. "Once I master that spell, I'm sure Lei's attacks won't be an issue anymore!"

I snorted. "Kid, the strength spells vary on the user. You aren't at the same level as Nyima yet."

"I will be soon!"

Nyima leered at him. "I'm not a low bar, you know?"

"Not saying you are! But I will overtake you! Both of you, I mean!"

My teammate sighed. "Little cousin like big cousin..."

I laughed. "We won't let you catch up so easily. A moving target is more fun to aim at after all," I said as I curled my fingers into a gun and pretended to shoot at an invisible target.

Raul nodded. "I'll start my legend here! Clypeus Aqua!" Nothing appeared. "Let me try again! Clypeus Aqua!"

I clenched my chest as I continued to watch him. For a second there, the abysmal core within me had stirred.