xli

May 3rd

May 3rd

"Happy birthday my handsome son! Mommy loves you so so so much," Nadira cooed, picking her son up from his crib. It was May third and Omari Cartier was officially one year old today.

He was crawling and walking now, he loved calling his mom and dad at random times of the day because he could now say 'mama' and 'dada'. He adored his big sister, and ran behind her wherever she went when they were at daycare. He slept with his father faithfully. He had a routine of getting breastfed at 9, and whining until Gionni was with him, or he was in bed with Gionni so he could go to sleep. He loved playing with dinosaur toys and watching Jurassic Park, even though it terrified Nayeli.

That was Nadira's inspiration for his birthday party later today,, it was Jurassic Park themed, outside in a tent so the kids could play. She was very excited.

"Mama!" he called kicking in her arms.

"Yes my love?" she smiled, taking him downstairs, where his dad and sister were waiting.

"Food?" he tilted his head, making her laugh.

"We're about to eat, thugga," she assured him, rounding the corner to the kitchen.

"There's my big boy!" Gionni spoke excitedly, running up and taking Omari from his mom and tossing him up and down, making him laugh loudly. "Happy birthday, baby. You're getting so big, Mari," he sighed. He also remembered Omari's birth like it was yesterday, he was growing up too fast.

"Happy birthday to the best brother ever!" Nayeli cheesed, kissing him, once he was put in his high chair, making him smile, showing off all his teeth. "You're so cute, bubby," she giggled, feeding him some of her pancake, which he gladly took. He started breastfeeding less and less, he only really wanted it before bed and for comfort now at this age.

After eating, Gionni started getting Omari ready for his party. It was early in the day, since it was a kids party, and nobody wanted their kids up late.

"You ready for your party son?" G asked while Mari splashed around in the tub. "I'll take that as a yes," he chuckled. Gionni was amazed by his son every single day. As a father of two, he loved seeing the little differences Omari and Nayeli. Differences in their personalities, in their growth and development, in their looks and in the way they learned the world around them.

He loved that Omari was so adventurous. He wanted to be everywhere in everything, although his face showed an extreme distaste for it all. He loved Polo and playing around with him, especially outside. He was a tough kid and enjoyed rough housing with Gionni and Polo all the time, giving Nadira a heart attack nearly every time.

"Daddy loves you, you know that, kid?" he smiled, washing his back. "Even though you be dissing me for yo' stanky mama, I still love you more than you ever gon' know, Peanut," he continued, making Omari laugh, like he knew what he was saying.