Her Brother

When all were in high school.
Mickey sat in the hospital waiting room with the Gallagher's. He nervously tapped his foot on the ground, waiting on news about his little sister. He called Ian right away when he got off the ambulance and Hannah was rushed into the hospital. Mickey told him the story he made up, not wanting anyone else to know the truth. Ian told his siblings that he was leaving and why. They persuaded him to let them go with him. They all started to love the girl their sibling became best friends with. Ian put his hand on Mickey's leg, reinsuring him that it was going to be okay. He also tried to tell himself that she would be okay. A nurse finally walked up to the odd group of southside people. "Is anyone here Hannah Milkovich's parent or guardian?" She asked. Mickey quickly stood up and walked up to her, Ian following close behind.
"Yeah, I am," Mickey told the nurse.
"Are you Terry Milkovich?" She looked down at her clipboard. Mickey's face turned into discuss at the sound of his father's name.
"No, I'm her brother."
"Well, I need an adult to come back."
"All I fucking want to know is if she's okay? Let me go back and see her." Mickey was now getting impatient and annoyed with the nurse.
"I can't give you that information until your dad shows up." The nurse went to walk away before Mickey lunged at her.
"She's my fucking sister." Ian grabbed his shoulders and pulled him back, making sure the Milkovich boy didn't get himself into any unnecessary trouble. Fiona walked up to the three.
"Ma'am, her brother and my younger brother are the closest thing to a real family she has. I promise her father will never show up." The nurse nodded her head and looked over at a beyond angry Mickey.
"Okay, they can go back." Mickey freed himself from Ian and followed the nurse to Hannah's room, Ian close behind.
"This is her room." The nurse stopped at a closed-door and opened it. The two boys both took a deep breath before walking in. Hannah laid in the bed with a bandage wrapped around her head. A doctor stood over her writing things on a clipboard. Mickey walked over to the empty side and grabbed Hannah's hand. Ian stood next to him trying to hold back tears as he looked down at his beat-up best friend. Hannah weakly smiled up at the two now that she was awake. The doctor started to talk.
"She's been awake for about 15 minutes so she'll still be a little groggy. She hit the back of her head pretty bad, which gave her a concussion and a small gash. The gash ended up not needing any stitches and will heal on its own. But she will definitely have to stay the night to make sure nothing happens more with her head. She's a tough girl." Mickey could have sworn that the gash was really deep and needed stitches because there was so much blood.
"Thank you," Mickey told the doctor. He was happy she was okay and nothing really big happened.
"You're welcome. I'll be back in about 15 minutes to see how you're doing." The doctor said before leaving.
"Fuck Hannah you scared the shit out of me." Ian wiped his eyes. Hannah laughed the best she could.
"I'm sorry." Mickey's voice was like a whisper. "I'm sorry I didn't get home soon enough. I'm sorry I didn't stop it. I'm sorry I left you." Hannah squeezed his hand.
"It's okay you couldn't have done any more than what you did. But tonight can you stay with me?"
"I'm not going anywhere." Ian knew the story Mickey told him wasn't true. He could tell by the Mickey acted when the nurse brought up his father.
"I know you both probably don't want to answer this but what actually happened?" Mickey sat down in a chair next to Hannah and still held on to her hand.
"Mickey tell him," Hannah told him. He didn't look up at Ian as he told the story.
"I went on a beer run with my brothers. When we got home I heard yelling and screaming. I ran back to Hannah's room. Terry was kicking the shit out of her. Right, when I started to pull him back he kicked her in the head. Her head went flying back and hit the door. Blood started to come out the back of her head and she blacked out." Ian was beyond pissed at the siblings' father. He loved the brother-sister pair and never wanted something bad to happen to them.
"You guys can start staying with me. You two don't deserve to get beat on."
"Thanks, Ian" Hannah choked out.
A little while later the rest of the Gallaghers were able to see Hannah. They talked and told her to get better soon. Ian stayed after they left. Hannah soon fell asleep after. "Thanks, Ian you can go home and sleep I got her," Mickey told him.
"Okay, I'm coming back tomorrow morning. You can go get yours and Hannah's stuff then come to my place."
"Okay." Ian kissed Hannah's forehead then kissed Mickey. Mickey kissed him back thankful that he was there.