Refutation

A/N: Brace yourself. This one's pretty long. And it touches on sensitive subjects, so be warned.

  Jungkook had been a very light sleeper as of late. It was really annoying him, because even the smallest noises seem to wake him up, and it makes it all the more difficult to go back under. Usually it's Marble shuffling on the floor or perhaps a rumble of thunder outside, but the noise, whatever it may be, never persists. Tonight, however, it did.

  His eyes cracked open, and it was hard to make much sense of what was going on. Their bedroom was dark, nearly pitch black, and his vision was blurred. The warmth he usually felt beside him was still there, much to his relief. But he could feel squirming, and very soft, quiet whimpers in the room. He was inclined to think it was Marble, but those weren't his whimpers. Not to mention, the dog wasn't in his usual spot in his bed where Jungkook would usually see him.

  He sits up, the bed groaning slightly as he shifts his weight over to Joy's body. She was curled up in a ball, her face hidden. As his eyes began to adjust a bit more he began to make out her features. If she was still sleeping, she wasn't resting well, that was for sure.

  Jungkook, concerned, starts to massage her arm and shoulder, realizing her skin was clammy. And her whimpering wasn't resolved. He lifts the sheet a bit to examine her a bit more, seeing her hand tightly clutching her lower stomach. Her fingers had tremors in them, too, and she sounded hard of breath.

  It took him a moment to make the connection, and he sat up some more, wiping his eyes as he looks down at her face. She huffed in exasperation, it looked like she was trying hard to still herself, but whatever pain she was feeling made that increasingly difficult. "Hold on, baby," Jungkook muttered, mostly to himself.

  He turns his body and stands up from bed, moving toward the bathroom to look for her pain medication. He had a hunch that her period would start soon. She never said anything about it, hardly ever, so he took it upon himself to look for the signs so he could be in the know. Joy was quite shy about it, and he had no idea why. But he supposed it was pretty personal.

  He found the powdered aspirin she had, making a mental note to buy her more pain medication next time he went out.

  On his way out the bathroom he grabbed her heating pad as well, moving around to her side of the bed. Marble had laid down by her side, which explained why Jungkook hadn't seen him earlier. He turns her bedside lamp on, her face was clammier than he'd thought. And he couldn't help but wonder how long she'd been enduring the pain for, she was in no shape to move at all. He wished she could tell him about things  like this, because he hated to see her suffer. But he'd scold her about it later.

  A couple of her long twists were in her face, clinging to her forehead, he moves them out the way. "Joy, baby," he gently grips her shoulder. She wasn't sleeping, her teary eyes opening and looking up at him. He felt his chest ache seeing her in so much pain, he noticed tear streaks on her face.

  "Take these," he directed, holding up the small packs of powdered aspirin for her to see. She huffed and shook her head as she watched Jungkook plug in her heating pad.

  The officer sighed, she couldn't be stubborn right now. Her chin was quivering because she was in so much pain and if he didn't know any better he'd think she was just coming out of a sauna. "Joy, I'm not asking." He whispered firmly, he wasn't backing down from this. He knew she was embarrassed but he hardly cared if it meant she was suffering so much.

  "I s-swear I'll puke if I take that."

  Jungkook put her heating pad on the low setting, placing it where her arm was clutching her stomach and pressing it gently to her tummy. "I don't care," the medicine was disgusting, and it was hard to avoid the atrocious taste. But it was instantaneous, and at this point he didn't care if she projectile vomited all over him if it meant she felt better. He wasn't just gonna sit and watch, that wasn't in him.