Obstruction

It was a quiet evening when Jungkook's phone buzzed at last, it was almost like it's low chime echoed in the emptiness of his apartment. He lifts his head groggily, grabbing it and wincing when the bright light beamed on his face in the eminent darkness. He had hopes of seeing Joy's contact, as it had been a few days since their dinner with Ellen and he was deeply concerned about her.

These past few days were painstakingly dull for him, he'd go to work and come back to his boring apartment, knowing Joy would need her space. There was a lot to digest, and she had to handle her relationship with her Mom.

His eyes ache as he lifts the screen to his face, wincing at its brightness. Jungkook felt a sigh leave his chest when her profile was absent. Instead, Jimin had sent him a text written in his native language, and a long one at that.

He tosses his phone back on the couch cushion he was stretched on, both his legs extended lazily across it. His head was facing the TV, though really he'd just put on the first thing he found to watch. There was another buzz and chime, and JK reluctantly opened the messages Jimin left.

It wasn't that he was annoyed or didn't want to be bothered, per se, but he wasn't used to this kind of loneliness anymore and was struggling to find ways to handle it. It never used to be so bad, but that was prior to meeting Joy and he honestly wasn't sure how he managed to do it for so long. For a long time he was on his own, and it was hard to be happy then. Now that Joy wasn't emotionally available, he felt the pain brought with longing for someone's company. He missed her warmth.

You haven't hung out with us in a long time, Jeongguk. We know you've been busy but Taehyung and I were wondering if you and Joy would like to join us for a triple date?? That spring carnival is coming into town and we think it's a perfect opportunity for us all to spend time together. Maybe we could see a movie while we're at it??

Another pitiful sigh. Jungkook knew perfectly well that wallowing around waiting for things to happen probably wasn't the healthiest way to cope, he shouldn't be so attached. But damn it, he couldn't help it. It almost felt childish how he was feeling so down because he missed her for a few days. He didn't want to be clingy, so he left her to her own devices. But the void in his heart couldn't be satiated.

He wasn't sure how else to respond to his hyung other than to ask when. Yet he couldn't help but wonder: was Joy up for it? Could she handle a date right now? He was worried more.

It'd be Saturday, Jimin replied, and there didn't have to be an answer given straight away, but preferably before the end of Friday night. Jungkook would think about it, needing to ask Joy.

His mind was read, because the moment he was setting his phone back down there was a text that popped up at the top of his screen. His heart fluttered when he read the nickname that appeared: Jagi 💜.

She didn't say much, but she was curious about whether or not he was free that evening. Obviously, Jungkook had nothing better to do, but even if he did he'd be going anyway. He had to see her.

He replied eagerly, trying not to type too quickly. But he could barely contain himself. She was making dinner, and wanted him to join her. Of course he obliged.