Amends

Jungkook hadn't seen Joy for two weeks after their first encounter. He didn't want to get his hopes up about ever seeing her again any time soon, but he couldn't help himself. Jungkook was eager.

He'd even practiced what he'd say to her. First to the mirror, whilst inwardly cringing at himself. Then to Hoseok, his other hyung who had visited town one weekend. He made sure everything down to the tone and pitch of his voice was perfect and casual. He really wanted it to flow, English not being his native tongue and all. It took lots of practice just to get the pronunciation covered and he still struggles sometimes. He just hoped Joy wouldn't notice.

Well, if he sees her. The evening was approaching, and Jungkook was headed to the street where they'd met, right at that crosswalk.

He wondered what she did for a living, according to Taehyung she always left and came home strutting in heels. Along with that she wears professional attire, not like a business woman, Taehyung informed, rather a woman who knows what the fuck she's doing.

His hyung's words did little to help put the picture in his mind, but Jungkook admitted, he was eager to see it. Somehow, among the flowing sea of heels clicking and stepping continuously onto the pavement, Jungkook heard her footsteps. He looked in the direction to see Joy strolling in the same path like she had weeks prior. Her head was held up this time, and she was looking across the street toward her complex. She was toting what looked like grocery bags, which might explain her not being there when he expected. Not that he was waiting, though. At least, not fervently...

He presses the button to initiate the crosswalk, peeking down at her, not wanting to seem too obvious. She looks up at him, "Hello, Officer Jeon." She greeted, slightly throwing him off guard. He hadn't expected her to speak first. Not at all.

"Hey, Joy. It's been a while," He started, she nodded. Shit, it was gonna get awkward. "How have you been?"

"Oh, you know, busy as usual..." it was strange, how she spoke. She faced him but couldn't meet his eyes, she participated in a conversation but seemed as if she was evading it. She seemed conflicted. Maybe it was the uniform?

The sign flickers, a herd of people making their way across the designated path, them at the front of it. Jungkook pockets his hands again, looking at his black boots.

"Hey, uh... I was wondering..." He stopped her once they were safely on the other side. Pedestrians parting like the red sea and moving either side of them along the sidewalk.

Joy looks up at him, her perfectly arched brow raised curiously. "Hm?"

"Would you like to... get coffee with me this weekend? Uh, Saturday? My treat?" He added the second part quickly. He also seemed to have forgotten that she needed to respond, because he rambled when he didn't hear her reply. "Of course you don't have to, but, I was just wondering. And I'd like to get to know you more, so-"

"I'm sorry," he almost felt relieved to have been stopped, but the effect of her words weighed on his shoulders. "I'm going to be busy this weekend." She explained. That much was actually true, she was expecting to take her new dog home on Saturday, an abandoned puppy, who'd need lots of love and attention.

She noticed his broad shoulders slump slightly in defeat, "But, I have an extended break on Monday at 11. ...If that's okay?"

He blinked, stunned that she was agreeing to this. "Um, yeah," he couldn't help but smile a bit. He looked down, feeling shy. "So Monday at 11? Do you like that cafe on 12th street?"

"Yeah, it's right next to my job." She agreed, clutching her bag with both hands.

Holy shit, she said yes. Jungkook was trying to focus on containing his excitement.