"Malachi..." It's my turn to grab his hand and rub comforting circles on his knuckles.

"All I'm saying is, if he really wants to see you, he'll contact us the proper way and we can deal with him then. My only problem now is... I can't get a hold of Hamilton. Why is he blocking me?" Malachi muses to himself, not really expecting a reply from me.

"I don't suppose you heard he finally met his mate?"

"He did?" he shoots me a glance, eyes wide, eyebrows raised.

"Yes, and I'm so happy the way it worked out with him and Gabriella. Now my best friend will live even closer to me. They suit each other perfectly. And they'll have the cutest pups, with blond hair and blue-green eyes. I wonder how that's going to work since Gabby isn't really—"

Malachi lets me ramble on, but then he holds up a hand to interrupt. "Doesn't your best friend have black hair?"

I frown, "Which best friend are you talking about? And how do you know what she looks like?" I think of the angel and demon I spent so much time with growing up.

"Slim, your height, dark features with even darker eyes that give you the chills just looking into them."

"Are you talking about Luci? But how do you—?"

"I saw her a couple times with you over the last few weeks. I don't normally tolerate unapproved guests on my territory, but I knew you needed a friend around so I let it pass."

"But she was a demon," I whisper, my mind racing in circles. "And no one ever saw her but me... and now you, it seems."

Malachi sucks in a long breath. "I guess since we were kind of related..."

"It doesn't work like that," I shake my head. "But I know you can see them now, considering the demons we fought together on our territory after meeting with Zander. I'm glad, actually. I'm not the only one who'll be fighting them in the years to come."

He looks over at me, and gives my hand a squeeze. "I'm glad of that, too. I used to be oblivious— or maybe it was just ignorant. But now I'm so much more aware of what's happening around us. I'm intrigued, though. Tell me more about your other friend, Hamilton's mate."

"She's an angel."

Malachi laughs, his azure eyes dancing in a way that causes my heart to stutter through its normal rhythm. "Of course, she is. Well, good for him. He deserves the best. He's the best Beta and brother a guy could ask for, and he'll make a really good mate, too."

"I know. He's so attentive and caring. Thoughtful, yet strong and firm. I love how he's always looking out for everyone in our pack. He takes his job so seriously, but I hope now he loosens up a bit. He deserves some peace and happiness of his own. Such a beautiful and kind man," I sigh, thinking of all the good things about my Beta.

"Sounds almost like you want to marry him," Malachi mutters with a dark look in his eyes.

I burst out laughing, "Don't be so dramatic!" I stop laughing when I see Malachi isn't amused. "You know there's only one man I want, right?" I poke his upper arm to emphasise my point.

He looks at me, his gaze so strong and awash with unfathomable depth, that I feel drawn to the truth of his feelings for me. In return, I let my own love and passion shine from my eyes and assuage his hot jealousy.

Then I smile at him, breaking the heavy moment. "So, where are you taking me?"

"Very funny," Malachi chuckles and looks back at the road, his eyes twinkling.

"Oh, come on. Just a small hint? Is it someplace warm?"

"Definitely."

"Okay. Is it the city to the north of TidalBay Pack? You know I don't like cities."