(17) DNA?

"Listen you brats, I want you two to stay safe alright?" Tsunade looked at the two with tears eyes and pouted lips. Naruto eagerly nodded.
"Yes yes, I'll make sure of that Tsunade..." Naruto reassured the blonde. Tsunade pulled Naruto and Sasuke into a big bear hug before waving them off goodbye. The two walked out of the hospital silently. The w**d socks clenched in Naruto's hand. (FF: My hospital gives free w**d socks!)
"I'll call Karin.." Naruto sighed. He pulled out his phone and dialed the numbers. The number's he'd rather not dial now or ever. The feeling of sitting in a car with a murderer didn't exactly sit well with him or the raven next to him. But he had no money and needed a way home.
"Naruto?" Karin said groggily. She sounded like she'd just woken up. Naruto's face turned a bright crimson red.
"H-hey..." Naruto muttered. The red-head girl yawned.
"So...whatdoya need, kid?" Naruto gulped. What he really wanted was to badger the shit out of her, but that was impossible without a trace of proof.
"Can you pick me and Sasuke up? We just got out of the hospital?" Naruto's voice got smaller. Almost hard to hear. But the groan that came from Karin was VERY audible.
"You idiot! Why didn't you tell me that you'd be getting out!" Karin shouted. Naruto moved the phone away from his ear and put it on the speaker. Another voice coming out from the background. It had to be Nikko.
"Karin...I can get them...?" Nikko questioned. Fed up, Naruto simply hung up entirely.

"Actually...I have some money on my card, let's catch the bus..." Sasuke turned to look at Naruto. His anxious mood coming upon both of them.
"Bus?" Sasuke croaked. Naruto put a hand on his shoulder. Naruto wouldn't ever be able to know how Sasuke was feeling about the situation. The feeling of being shot, almost dying. The feeling of feeling an actual bullet Peirce you. The blonde man was set on giving his life to Sasuke. No matter the cost or the risks. Why was the pain somewhat worth it now?
"If you don't want to..."
"No, I'm fine."
----
The bus ride was silent. Sasuke kept his hand tangled with Naruto's. His grip getting stiff at some moments of the ride. They passed the same alley they were in on that horrid day. A few passengers even looked at the two weirdly. Probably hearing about the situation on the news. That was the least of their problems right now. Naruto bit his lip. There was a key detail Naruto was missing, but what was the detail? The only thing that struck him odd was why Nikko suddenly knew everything about her life? Since when were they friends, what was Karin's true past? Who really killed Sakura? Unanswered questions lingered in his mind. Naruto could only imagine what lingered through Naruto's.

The bus came to a halt.
"57th Street!" A man called out. Signaling that their stop was here. The two got up off the bus. Sasuke stood behind Naruto defensively. While the bus muttered their stupid theories out of the blue. Finally exiting the bus, the two breathed a sigh of relief.
"Sasuke...we actually need to talk about something."
-----

"Their stories add up..completely." Itachi groaned in frustration. This case seemed to be going nowhere, and Deidara seemed to suddenly take no interest in the case anymore. Although it was his JOB to solve the murder of Sakura Haruno. It only hit harder for the raven, adding that this was his sister-in-law. Even if Sasuke didn't want him to know... those were the facts. Deidara propped his legs up on Itachi's chair and ate the donut in his hand hastily.
"Yes, yes it does," Deidara said in-between bites. Itachi sighed in frustration.
"Can you please try to be focused? This is our JOB" Itachi rolled his eyes, and spun the chair around. Making Deidara's feet fling to the ground.
"It's all about the deets 'Tach!" Deidara clapped the dust off of his hands. A cheesy grin appeared on the blonde's face. Making Itachi's red face grew redder, but not with agitation.
"Did you ever think about why Sakura was laying on Karin and Nikko Uzumaki's couch?! What was the reason for her being there?" Deidara's brows furrowed. The seriousness kicking in his mind.
"Search warrant?" The two said at the same time. This was so obvious yet so hard for Itachi to figure out. And somehow the dumb one figured it out.
"Ah..Deidara you might actually be onto something!" Itachi clapped his hands. The cheesy grin grew on Deidara's powdery lips.
"I am smart., aren't I?!" Itachi laughed. Shaking his head.
"No, you're still an idiot"
--- Two Days Later ---

Karin opened the door to find Itachi and Deidara standing there. Their faces were pale.
"H-hello officer?" Karin gulped. Deidara nodded. Itachi smiled nervously.
"We actually have a search warrant. So we're going to need you to step aside." Itachi brushed past her. Deidara walked back into the kitchen to search. While Itachi ran up the steps. Immediately into Karin's 'room'. Which also happened to have that Nikko guy in it.
"what are you doing here?" Nikko looked up at Itachi with wide eyes. Smirking, Itachi shook his head.
"Search warrant. Now I'm going to ask you nicely to get out?" Itachi's smirk faded. He opened the closet door to find heaps and heaps of clothing. He got on his knees and rummaged through it.
"Woah Woah...I need some proof!" Nikko shouted. Without turning around Itachi signaled him to go downstairs.
"my partner is there. He can show you."
--
After two hours of searching the upstairs Itachi's hopes were slightly diminished. He only found a notebook with dates of it and an old shotgun. I mean what did he expect? A written page of what happened? [teeheee] Itachi walked downstairs to see a triumphant smile on Deidara's face. He held up a black glove, mask, and outfits. Outfits for two.
"Itachi look what I found!" Deidara smiled promptly. Getting closer to his partner, he found Karin and Nikko with cuffs on their hands. Sitting on the floor.
"I also locked them up since.. y'know it's kind of fishy as to why they have one of the missing shoes hidden." Itachi's face broke out into a smile.
"G*d I could tell you I love you.." Itachi laughed. The smile faded from Deidara's face.
"Heh.. yeah" Deidara chuckled nervously. The mood tensed. It didn't matter to Itachi, who already brushed it off. He was excited about finally getting a lead on something.
"Anyways... I'll call Anko for the d-d-na?" Deidara nodded.

What was that about?