Chapter 1

Valerio looked out of his twenty-ninth-story building, in one hand holding a glass of a brownish colour that had been aged for a few years to obtain the rich and robust taste of the coloured liquid.

Valerio stirred the contents in the glass by gently swirling the glass, making the liquid form a mini tornado, before sipping the richness of the bourbon.

The bright sun that usually brings joy and happiness to most people had been blocked out by dark grey clouds, getting the gloominess in the midday afternoon sky.The day was only halfway through, but for Valerio, the urge to drink a strong bourbon was heavy on his mind.

Valerio had started to build his empire when the surrounding areas were only suburban areas with not many buildings around at the time. Over the years, as his company flourished, many competitors and developers slowly turned the once quiet suburban regions into what it is today.

An area surrounded by tall buildings, bustling restaurants and small cafes and bars.Today of all other days, however, Valerio felt strange; Connasdaim, his dragon, was letting him know that something big would be taking place very soon, something that would involve himself.

Whether the problem was big or small or when it will happen was something that he could not foretell; he just knew it was coming.

Valerio depended on his dragon sense; it was second nature to him; it had never let him down.

Valerio looked out the window when his vision caught a glimpse of a minor, fragile male trying to reach his destination.

Valerio could see the person trying to cross the busy streets with their hand full of rolled-up papers that they were carrying while their other hand was on a device that ninety-nine per cent of humans could not go without.

A device that has taken over the world, making communications more accessible and convenient.

A smartphone.

Valerio did not take his eyes off the person until they had crossed the road towards a building that was out of sight; only then did he turn away from the window.

He moved to sit on his leather chair when the image of the passing male reminded him of a distant memory.

Gino Ryu was a person that was neither handsome nor ugly. A person carrying fifty per cent of his mother's genes which was Italian, and another fifty per cent of his father, which was Asain, making him a unique breed.

He is trying to get to his twelve-thirty appointment, which might be with a potential client that his friend recommended. Gino was not given enough time to prepare the necessary blueprints.

As Gino was about to reach the traffic lights, his phone started to ring; he moved the blueprints he was carrying to his left side while digging for his phone with his right hand.

"Hello, Gino speaking," answered Gino sounding breathless.

"Gino, where are you? The clients have arrived." asked the person on the other end of the line.

"Sorry, Frank, I got held up; I'm almost there, just crossing the road now. I'll see you in two minutes."

"Alright! I'll wait for you but hurry up, okay."

"Okay, see you soon, Frank."

Gino ended the call and put his phone back into his pocket just as the little green man signalled him to walk.

A few minutes later, Gino arrived at the open cafe where he saw his friend Frank with two males dressed in a semi suit laughing at what Frank had said. Just as Frank was about to continue, Gino spoke.

"Frank, I'm sorry I'm late; I got caught up with personal matters."

Frank and the two gentlemen quickly stopped talking and gave their full attention to the newcomer.

"Ah, the man of the hour, gentlemen, I would like you to meet a good friend, Giovanni Ryu; he has more information about the types of design you want. Shall we begin?" asked Frank, gesturing for Gino to take a seat and get started.

Once seated, Gino laid out his blueprints that he had roughly drawn from last night out onto the square coffee table they were occupying; from the little information given to him, Gino got down to business covering everything from building design to the layout of the garden.

They had spent the first hour talking about the design's details and how many rooms each apartment will have. Frank had done most of the talking while Gino jotted down information that could be added to the project.

By the time they agreed on the colour, another hour had passed before they would call it a day. By the end of the ordeal, Gino found himself being the only person left at the table; he wanted to put the information he had just gathered from his clients down in his notebook for later when he made another copy of the blueprints.

Three hours later, since he had entered the coffee shop, Gino walked out with the same things in his hand as when he had entered earlier.

Losing track of time, Gino took his phone out to check for the time, only to realise he had missed out on lunch, he was so focused on the meeting he hadn't realised that lunchtime already passed. When he left his grandmother's house this morning, he only grabbed an apple from the kitchen table.

As on cue, his stomach gave a loud grumble. Gino put his hands on his stomach and then found a nice takeaway restaurant.