Chapter 40

"Don, it is good to see you. how is everything on your end?"Don, a well-built man with a wild and menacing appearance, a man who knew how to inflict pain and suffering, a man who, from years of experience, knows both worlds of man and beast.

"Nick, things are going according to our plan; Valerio has suffered injuries to his body while intercepting with my men."

"Great work," Said Nick while his eyes landed on the person beside Don.

"This is Connor; he was the one that had gotten close enough to Valerio and delivered the attack that caused Valerio to lose consciousness, making it easy for him to come out as the victor."

Looking at Connar, a huge smile spread across Nick's face; grabbing the man's hand for a shake, Nick continued his questions.

"Is he still alive?"

"Yes, sir, the fireball I sent out was not strong enough to kill him, but it was enough to make him unable to heal himself permanently, resulting in him being unconscious.

A loud and crips sound of laughter could be heard from Nick's mouth, waking Cherry and Gino from their slumber.

Noticing the spot beside her was emptyCherry wrapped herself in a robe before walking out of the room; she saw Nick and a rogue dragon that she and Nick had been collaborating with for quite some time, sitting around the small table in the small open kitchen space.

Walking up to them, Cherry spoke before sitting beside Nick on the sofa.

"Nick, what has gotten you all fired up so early in the morning?"

"Nothing, my love; Don here has just shared some exciting news with me."

"Is it Valerio? Does he know we have his mate? When is he coming."

"It doesn't matter when he comes as long as we have the upper hand and make the right move; taking Valerio out will be easy, like peeling a banana."

The four sat on the small, dull table, discussing their next plan of action, unaware that their captive had made his way to the door, trying to listen to them.

Gino placed his ear on the door, hoping to figure out who the newcomers were and if he could recognise them by their voices. Gino had just tried to find the right spot to lean his ear on when the door handle rattled, indicating that someone was coming inside.

Scrambling back to his spot on the thin mattress, Gino held his breath as a man he had never met entered the room holding a tray that contained his morning meals.

The man placed the tray on the table before turning his attention to Gino; with his finger on his mouth, he indicated for Gino not to make a sound as he quietly walked towards him. The man grabbed his hand and placed something light and solid on one of his bound palms before untying the rope that bound his hands together.

Walking back to the door, the man spoke a few words loud enough for the outside people to hear before walking out and locking the door behind him.

Shocked by the man's action, Gino quickly looked at his hands to find a neatly folded paper on his palm; quickly unravelling the piece of paper, Gino read the context of the message only to have tears silently flow down his pale cheeks.

It was a letter from Valerio ensuring he was on his way to find him; how many days has it been since Gino was captured? How many days has it been that Gino had not seen Valerio? Gino's heartstrings tugged, thinking about the message owner, making him reminisce about the days he had spent with the man.

The night was young with clear skies, not a cloud in sight, small white dots scattered across the dark sky. Four people were inside a plain small house on the city's outskirts, surrounded by tall trees and outgrown grass, shielding it entirely from the eyes of outsiders.

It would be nearly impossible to find the tiny house unless one were familiar with the area. A few meters from the small home, a tall man dressed in black grouched down within the tall grasses, scanning the site for any movements and surprising attack. Once clear, he returned to a parked SUV before speaking to the person waiting patiently inside.

"Val, everything is good to go; I've checked for any signs of movements on the outside. It seems that they did not expect us to be here tonight."

"Good killed everyone and rescued Gino. He is our main target; You take the left side. I will check for any movements inside the house before ambushing them. Darren, you will lead the rest of our men in once you receive a signal from Xander or me."

"Yes, Sir, we'll be ready."

"Remember, our main goal is Gino; we all retreat once he is safely out."

A chorus of "Yes, Sir" came from the men behind Valerio before everyone got into position.

Valerio and Xander swiftly and quietly made their way towards the small white house, their steps light and steady, blending well with the night. When they neared the entrance, both Valerio and Xander signalled each other; one went left while the other went right.

Valerio followed along the wall, stopping when he sensed a light fragrance coming from one of the rooms. This was a scent that Valerio would never tire of; it was a scent that he longed to hold once more. Putting away his gun, Valerio put his palm against the wall, ready to make a small hole big enough for Gino to get out, but was stopped by the sounds of Gino's voice speaking.

"How could I live with myself? How could I drag you into this world with me? My only wish is that I get to meet you, hold you."

Valerio listened to Gino's words but could not pinpoint what they meant. Gino spoke the following words; however, it made Valerio halt his actions, heartbreaking at the sounds of Gino's broken voice.