Chapter 47

Gino placed the last plate into the dishwasher, closed the door, turned the machine on before leaving the kitchen and making his way into his room.

Once there, Gino's eyes wandered to the two occupants in his room; walking up to it, he gently placed a small kiss on the both of them; at his gentle touch, the egg that Gino delivered wiggled side to side for a few seconds before coming still once more.

"That's right, I love you so much. Hurry up and hatch already the both of you so I can hold you in my arms," chuckled Gino.

As Gino was about to get up from his spot beside the crib, the door of his bedroom opened; Doris leaned against the door frame with her arms crossed over her chest; turning his head, Gino looked at his grandma and smiled before he spoke.

"Grandma, how was your date? Did you have a good time?"

"What could two old people do to have a good time these days?"

"What do you mean, didn't you go out for dinner, take a nice stroll around town looking at the scenery as you both hold hands? You know things like that."

"Ugh, those kinds of things, I will leave it to the younger generation; what about you? How was your night."

"It was quiet; I didn't do much."

"And how are you holding up? Are you alright?"Gino looked at her without replying as tears gathered in his eyes; not wanting to show weakness in front of his hatchlings, Gino walked out of the room, followed by Doris, who let a small sigh before turning to follow her grandson.

Doris entered the living room and saw Gino sitting on the sofa with his legs curled from underneath him.

"Gino baby, it will be alright; I don't think he meant to hurt you," said Doris, coming to sit beside Gino while gently rubbing his back

Gino did not respond to his grandma, letting his tears flow out before accepting the tissue his grandma gave him; wiping his eyes and nose, Gino put his leg down and turned to face his grandma before speaking.

"I know, Grandma; he didn't say those things to mean it; he was feeling helpless as the man that he trusted, the man that is a brother to him, was lying motionless on the ground. If the roles were reversed, I would lash out at Valerio too. I feel useless, Grandma. I wish I were strong enough to protect myself and our child. I wish I were strong, like Valerio. I feel more like a burden than a fated mate to him."

"Gino, honey, don't say things like that. If Valerio were here, he would be upset if he discovered how much you look down on yourself. Valerio loves you, for better or worse; if you and him have faith in one another, I'm sure everything will turn out alright."

"Mm", replied Gino, leaning on his grandma's shoulders like he used to when he was a small child.When he was younger, other children would tease and bully him once they knew he did not have parents. Every time he got bullied, he would come home crying to Grandma. It had taken Doris a good amount of talking to settle and calm Gino; it was easy to know when she had succeeded as he would lean on her shoulder and fall asleep from all the crying he had done.

After leaving the supermarket, Gino headed to the nearby lake, knowing that his grandma would not need the ingredients to cook dinner for another hour. Standing at the lake's pier, Gino looked into the crystal clear lake water, seeing his reflection staring back at him.

Sitting down on the edge of the pier, Gino turned his head to see a few young teenagers jumping into the cold water. Gino watched as one of the teenagers splashed water at his friends, resulting in them cussing at him. One friend tried to grab him, but he dodged and swam further into the lake.