Chapter 20

Folding the last piece of clothing and putting it into the suitcase, Gino looked around his room to see if he had forgotten anything; for most of his life, this was his comfort zone, where he laughed, cried, and fantasized about himself being in love. This was the place he could be himself.

His bedroom.

After looking around his room, Gino walked towards a picture frame of his parents. Looking at the photo, Gino could see how much love his parents had for each other when they married. His mum was not much older than him, and his dad looked very mature even though he was just in his twenties.

Taking the picture down from the wall, Gino put it into his luggage, closing it tightly just as this task was done. Gino heard the sounds of a car driving up his driveway. Gino saw Valerio getting out of the black sedan and looking out of place by walking to the window.

Memories surfaced when Valerio entered the old driveway, giving his heart a little tug. Everywhere he looked, he was back in time to the moment he met the person he had thought would become his destined mate.

"Should we knock?" asked Xander.

Bringing his thoughts back into the present, Valerio pulled his sunglasses from his face and walked to the front door; just as Valerio lifted his hand to knock on the door, it opened, revealing the person he missed dearly.

"Come on in," said Gino opening the door wider for the two prominent men to enter. Shutting the door behind him, Gino called out to his grandma.

"Grandma, Valerio is here."

"Give me a minute", replied Doris from the kitchen. Walking into the lounge room, Gino gestured for Valerio and Xander to sit.

Xander chose to sit on a single sofa while Valerio took his place beside Gino leaving the other single couch for Doris, Gino's grandma.

A few minutes passed Doris walked into the lounge with a tray of tea and freshly baked scones and muffins; not looking up from her tasks, Dori placed the tray on the small coffee table before sitting on the only seat left of Gino.

The moment Doris looked up at Valerio, she instantly became stupefied. Quickly getting up from her seat, she pointed her finger at Valerio and spoke.

"You.. what are you doing here? How can you show yourself here after so many years."Feeling shocked by his grandma's statement, Gino was beside his grandma instantly.

"Grandma, what are you saying? Have you met Valerio before? He is my new boss and my.."

"Your new boss, this is the person you have been intimate with? No, it won't happen; I won't allow it."

"Grandma, what do you mean? You were OK with it when I discussed moving in with Valerio last night."

"That was because I didn't know who you were talking about it, Gino, darling; I don't care who you fall in love with. Whoever it is, Grandma will have no objection. But if it's with this man, grandma won't allow it."

"Why, Grandma, I don't understand."

"Because he is the one that killed your parents."Shocked was the only thing that could be seen on Gino's face; turning to look at Valerio, the man did not say a word and just stared back at him with sad eyes.

A moment later, Valerio opened his mouth to speak.

"Ms Moore, I think you are accusing me of a crime that even you are not knowledgeable about. How are you so sure that I was the one that killed the only person I had ever loved."

"It was because she met you because she had helped you that she was a target for those who were after you; because of you, I' have lost my whole family, my husband, who was not able to accept the death of our daughter died a year after."

"Not only did you ruin my family, but you took the only thing from Gino that could never be replaced; you took his parents away from him."

Tears gathered in Gino's eyes at what his grandma had said.

Is it true that Valerio is the cause of his parent's death? What had Gino in a knot was not about his parent's death but about what Valerio had said: Valerio used to love his mother.

Is this why Valerio is after him because he looks like his mother? After all, these years, is Valerio not letting go of the past?

Is he just a replacement for his mother?