Chapter 41

Gino had been in a daze ever since he had received news of Valerio's plans to rescue him; Gino knew that if it were just Nick, Valerio would not have any difficulties dealing with him, but there was Cherry as well, and the rouge dragon named Don.

It was not that Gino underestimated Valerio, but the thought of him losing his own life to save him was not something Gino wanted to live with. A life without Valerio was not a life worth living.

Just as Gino was dwelling in sorrow, a commotion outside had Gino getting up from his spot; he supported himself up by putting his hands on the wall; having sat all day, his legs had become numb.The wall had become a source of support for Gino.

The door to the small room that Gino had spent the last seven days in was forcibly opened by Cherry, dragging a person from behind. The moment Gino made eye contact with them, his breath was caught in his throat briefly before Cherry opened the door wider, grabbing the person by the hair; she threw them inside, making them land a few inches from Gino's feet.

"GRANDMA"

Gino bent down to help his Grandma while checking if she had been hurt; once Gino was confident she was not injured, he turned his attention back to Cherry, who had also entered the room.

"Let her go; she is not a part of this."

"She has been a part of it from the very beginning if she did not hide away the secret of the Dragon Gem from the world the minute your parents died or the fact that she had hidden you away for so many years only for Valerio to find you now after so many years."

"Save your breath, Gino; it's meaningless. Cherry would disavow her kind; rather than uniting with them, she would side with the enemy to bring them down. That is where she is different from you, why Valerio fell in love with you, my sweet boy."

Out of anger from being taunted, Cherry stormed up to Gino and his Grandma. Seeing Cherry making her way over, Gino shielded his Grandma, his back towards her while he faced Cherry.

Just as Cherry was advancing towards them, Gino felt a strange sensation coming from inside of his body; his stomach felt like it had been turned upside down, making it difficult to hold down the contents of the digested food; sweat appeared on his forehead while he hands cupped his mouth.

"Gino, are you alright? What is happening," asked Doris, seeing the sudden change in her grandson.

"Water, grandma, please hand me that glass of water."

Doris turned to the small table that contained a tray of untouched and cold food; beside it was a glass filled with water. Moving away from her grandson, Doris hurriedly retrieved the glass of water when Cherry suddenly snatched it away.

"What are you doing? Give me that glass."Without replying, Cherry got the glass of water and poured it onto the wooden floor, creating a small pool of water.

"I have seen a person that acts out of anger and hatred, but those that act out on pettiness like yourself are just something I'm only witnessing now."

"Run your mouth all you like; if there is a chance that I can prevent that dirty offspring from being born, I'll be as petty as I can be as long as they don't see a new day."

"What are you talking about? What offspring," asked Doris, confused for a moment when her gaze landed back on her grandson; seeing the symptoms of her grandson, Doris quickly pieced the puzzle together.

Without answering, Cherry turned to leave, holding the empty glass in her hands, but a raspy voice from behind spoke, making her stop in her tracks.

"Cherry, please, I beg you to explain what you just said now about offspring; it can't be that I'm... " said Gino, finding it hard to finish his sentence.

As soon as Gino finished talking, another wave of coughing came from him due to the lack of moisture in his dry throat.

Hearing the loud cough coming in from the other room, Nick, who had been discussing their future movements with Don and Connor, quickly moved into the room, realising that Cherry had not returned since she had dragged the older woman in.

Fearing that Cherry had caused another commotion, all three men left the small couch and entered the small room.

"Cherry, what are you doing? I only asked you to bring the old woman, not to make trouble."

"Why is it when something happens to him, you always assume that I am the one that did it?" shouted Cherry out of anger.

Seeing the situation, Nick pulled Cherry out of the room, with Don following closely behind.

After the commotion, Connor, who had to watch the whole event, turned his attention back to Gino and his Grandma, who followed the trio out the door, only to arrive minutes later with two water bottles in his hand. Opening the bottle cap, Connor walked towards Gino and handed the open water bottles to Gino.

Connor waited for Gino to drink his water before speaking.

"Are you alright? Did she hurt you?"Gino shook his head when he suddenly thought of a crisis; he grabbed Connor's arms and pleaded with the man, saying.

"Please help my grandma; she is not a part of this; please, I beg of you."

With a shake of his head, Connor waited patiently for Gino to settle before prying open Gino's fingers that had clutched his arms tightly.

"Then explain to me what Cherry meant when she said the word offspring earlier; she said that she would do everything she can to prevent an offspring from seeing a new day; what exactly does she mean by those words."

A sigh escaped Connor's mouth before he spoke, not wanting to reveal too much in case Gino would not be mentally prepared for what would come next.

"Both Nick and Cherry think that you are carrying Valerio's child, the first pureblood since Valerio himself."

"How..."

"Look, I don't know all the details about it; throughout our time, there has never been a case as unique as yours.."

"Connor, what are you still doing in there? You are not conspiring with the enemy now, are you," said Nick from the doorway.

"I am helping Gino out with his coughing; Cherry had made a little scene earlier, preventing Gino from having a glass of water. If we want to lure out Valerio, we need them to be alive; if Cherry keeps having her way, we would not have a hostage to hold now, would we."

Neither Gino nor his Grandma did not hear the response from Nick as the other had spoken in a quiet voice, and Connor closed the door on his way out.Once everything was quiet again, Gino turned to his Grandma, tears in his eyes.

"Grandma, what am I going to do."

"My sweet boy, this is the work of fate; your destiny was written way before you were born; if destiny made the both of you meet, then destiny would also help you have your happily ever after," said Doris, pulling Gino into her arms holding him tightly in her bosom.Gino wept softly in his Grandma's arms, moving his hands to his flat stomach. Gino spoke, the pain evident in his voice.

"How could I live with myself? How could I drag you into this world with me? My only wish is that I get to meet you and hold you."

"Everything will be alright", comforted Doris.

Both Grandma and Grandson stayed huddled in each other arms. Gino's eyes were flickering close to the soft and gentle pat of his grandmother's hands on his back.

Gino had just closed his eyes only to open them again when a loud bang came from outside their room, followed by loud shouts from Nick, Cherry and Don.