Chapter 29

"Valerio", called out Cherry.

Hearing his name being called out, Valerio turned his attention from Gino to the person calling out his name; as this was his private quarters, no one dared come to these parts without his permission.

"Cherry, what are you doing here? How did you know I was here" said Valerio, gently placing Gino on the bed before getting up to meet the small petite woman

"I called Xander; he told me where you were; Valerio, I need to talk to you."

"Ok, let us talk in my study; I'll be there in a moment."Cherry nodded her head and walked out the door without acknowledging Gino.

Once Cherry left, Valerio walked back towards the bed.

"Beautiful, I will be down the hall; call me if you need anything," said Valerio kissing Gino on the forehead before following Cherry into the study.

Gino watched as Valerio walked out of the room, closing the door behind him; with so many things happening, Gino had forgotten all about the person beside Valerio, despite knowing that their relationship was based on a promise.

Valerio entered his office and saw Cherry sitting on the couch with her legs crossed, walking up to his study table. Valerio opened the whisky lid and poured it into the empty glass handing one to Cherry.

Once the other person grabbed the glass from his hold, Valerio took a sip before asking.

"Cherry, what did you want to talk to me about."

Cherry's vision blurred as hot tears streamed down her cheek, ruining her flawless makeup face.

Putting down the glass of whisky, Valerio was beside Cherry instantly, taking the sip from her hands and placing it on the table before taking the seat next to her.

"Cherry, what happened."

Cherry cried on Valerio's chest while the latter rubbed her back gently to calm her down.

Valerio sat in an uncomfortable position without moving an inch until the small woman in his arms calmed down; sensing that now was the right time to ask for details, Valerio used both hands and placed them on Cherry's thin arms; he gently pulled her from under his embrace.

"Are you ready to tell me what happened?"

"I... I rejected my mate," whispered Cherry.

It was good that Cherry was only inches away from Valerio, making it easy for him to catch the words just spoken.

"You rejected your mate? Cherry finding your mate is the most precious thing that can happen to anyone, regardless of who or what we are. Why did you reject them" asked Valerio

Unclenching her fingers, Cherry balled them into a fist before lashing at Valerio.

"It's because of you that I rejected my mate; I'm the one that is supposed to be your mate, not some worthless human. Valerio, you are the person I love; at first, I thought it might just be a silly crush on you, but the more time I spent with you, the more I fell in love. Please, Valerio, I beg of you, expect me."

Getting off his spot on the couch, Valerio moved away from Cherry without replying to her outburst.

Seeing the object of her love moving away, Cherry made hastes and caught Valerio by the arm.

"Valerio, please I.."

"I promise your father I will care for you until you are mated. As my duty as your guardian has ended, I have nothing to say to you. You only know the promise I made with your father to watch over you, but you didn't know the other half," said Valerio, looking at Cherry with a dark expression.

"Judging by your expression, I guess you didn't know the rest of the promise; Your father had been very loyal to me even in his last moments. As hunters closed in on our territory, I found him lying on the ground.

I aided your father as best as possible, helping him escape while he couldn't go on any longer; he had asked me to grant him his last wish knowing he didn't have long to live; I listened to his request.

Although I agreed to take you under my care, I also had my objections. I told your father I would be your guardian only until you mated when the day came. I am no longer obligated to carry on the promise."

Tears streamed down Cherry's cheeks as she listened to the promise made about her life between her father and the heartless person standing before her.

"I rejected my mate; that means the promise is still valid," said Cherry

"No, you have been marked; your scent has changed," said Valerio walking towards the door

Seeing her beloved trying to leave again, Cherry quickly grabbed Valerio's arm, preventing him from exiting the room.

"Please, Valerio, please don't leave me without you; my world will have no meaning" Seeing as her words had made Valerio stop, Cherry quickly put her thin arms around Valerio's waist, hugging him from behind.

At this precise moment, the door to the study opened. Gino looked at the scene before him, weakly holding onto the metal pole with an I.V. drop inserted into his arm.