Chapter 34

Gino walked up to the door outside the study room with emotions running through his body. Amanda called him a week ago and told him about a small gathering she had assembled for her birthday. Gino promised to be there only to realise that Valerio had forbidden him to go anywhere near Amanda and her brother Tony for his safety, suspecting they had a hand in the incident involving him being nearly killed by a stranger.

Although Gino often explained to Valerio that Amanda had nothing to do with the incident, Valerio stood his ground, demanding that he be obedient and stay away from both brother and sister.

Taking a deep breath, Gino clenched and unclenched his hands before deciding to knock on the study door; Gino waited until he heard a loud and clear "come in" Did he open the door to enter, shutting it behind him softly?

Looking up from his work Valerio smiled before speaking.

"Beautiful, is everything alright?"

"Ah yes, everything is fine; I just wanted to see if you need me for anything. I could help you with your work if you like," said Gino walking up to Valerio and taking a seat on the empty chair.

"Beautiful, you already have a job. It's to sit there and be beautiful for my eyes only."

Hearing the cheesy lines coming out of Valerio's mouth made Gino want to get up and walk back out the door, but Gino stood his ground and replied when he remembered why he had come.

"Valerio, I was wondering if tonight I could go out and meet up with someone?"

"Sure, beautiful, I'll have Xander escort you; what time did you want to leave?"

"The person I'm going to see is Amanda, today is her birthday, and she is having a small gathering at her apartment."

Gino saw Valerio's face turn from being gentle and sweet to cold and ruthless in under thirty seconds; putting down the documents he had been reading, Valerio slammed the desk; looking at Gino, he spoke very loudly.

"Did you forget what she did to you? Is the scar on your back, not an insufficient proof for you to realise what kind of person these people are? If you had asked for any simple thing in the world other than this, I would happily grant you anything you wish, but the one thing I will not let you do is to attend the gathering."

"I understand that you are worried about me, but.."

"Gino, we are not having this conversation. You are not to go to this gathering; are we clear?"

Gino stayed rooted on the chair that he was sitting on as his eyes became blurred; lifting his head, Gino saw Valerio walking from behind the desk towards the door, slamming it shut without giving him a backward glance staying alone in the big room, silent tears rolled down Gino's cheeks.

Apart of him understands Valerio's reasoning for wanting to keep him safe, while another part of him wants to attend Amanda's birthday; it's something that he has been doing ever since he and Amanda became friends. No one knew Amanda better than he did; she was always there for him for support and comfort, the same way he was for her, as their lives were similar in every aspect. Amanda had always fought for what was right. 

It was one of the reasons she moved out of her parent's home, not letting them use her as a pawn in their game. She had become a very independent and successful woman; she was everything Gino lacked.

Over the years, Amanda had learned to defend herself from this cruel world and to think that someone like that could put him in danger; Gino did not believe it one bit.

Gino's phone vibrated nonstop with voice messages and missed calls; picking up his cellphone, Gino saw ten messages and five missed calls, two of which were recorded voice messages, all from Amanda.

Opening the voice message, Gino listened as Amanda reminded him to come and the time everyone would show up. Listening to the last voice message, Gino's heart broke as Amanda had given up hope of him showing up.

Looking at the time, Gino knew that the gathering had already started two hours ago; making up his mind, Gino quickly changed and got ready, knowing how angry Valerio would be once he found out.

On most days, Gino would have listened and taken Valerio's warnings seriously, but deep down, he knows that Amanda is not the person Valerio portrayed her as.

Checking that he had everything, Gino opened his bedroom door and went outside the mansion, surprised at how he managed to get out without being found.

Gino let out his breath that he didn't release he had been holding once he was outside the property; putting a hand on his chest, he sighed and walked to the nearest bus route.

Valerio had left the mansion after his talk with Gino earlier in the evening. It was not that Valerio thought poorly of Amanda or that she had any hand in the incident. It's just that she is the daughter of a hunter; until he finds out what the hunter is doing and scheming, would Valerio be at peace? Protecting Gino is the most crucial thing in his life; he had failed to save Lily, But he would not make the same mistake twice.

"Val, it is late; what are you still doing here? What's the matter you fought with Gino?"

Valerio turned away from his office building and looked at Xander before answering.

"Am I doing the right thing, keeping Gino inside the mansion, preventing him from meeting anyone?"

"A mate's worry is never enough, my friend, but is this only about Gino?" Asked Xander boldly

"What do you mean?"

"Is your heart in the right place? Are you protecting Gino out of duty or guilt?"Valerio became quiet; even though he did not know the answer to that question, was it guilt or duty towards his mate? Does he genuinely love Gino from the bottom of his heart, or is it his love for Lily?

"Gino is an important part of my life. The more I think, the more I realise that I admire Lily; I owe her my life. It is different from Gino. Even though we started on the wrong foot, I could not live without him."

"I see. Is it trust, then? Do you not trust Gino when he is alone?"

"No; you need trust to build a relationship with your mate; without trust, there can not be love." Said Valerio confidently

Xander looked at Valerio and smiled at the fiercest and most potent creature as he became a lovesick fool. What would others say if they knew their leader was terrified of not being loved by his mate?

The more Xander thought about the matter, the more he laughed silently at how love can change someone.