Chapter 44

In the blink of an eye, a month had passed since the ordeal that put Gino and Valerio in a life-and-death situation. Stepping outside the car dressed in black, Gino clutched the boutique of flowers in his hands, looking at the place that had brought him happiness and laughter. 

To think that he would be standing here now, not as an employee but as a customer, was not something that he had imagined would happen anytime soon.

The Bristo.

"The front entrance would be locked. We need to go round the back to the employee entrance," said Gino  

Valerio stepped beside him. "Let's go."

Tuning the doorknob, Gino pushes open the door and steps inside with Valerio close behind, walking through the small passageway; the memory of his time working here floods his mind.

The good, the bad, and the fun times. Gino walked out from behind the bar and saw the main stage and dance floor; looking past the main floor, he saw one of the rooms lit. Gino and Valerio stepped towards the lit room, arriving shortly after, where the door had been left open.

"Rob, how are you?" asked Gino in a low voice.

Turning his attention from the scattered papers on the table, startled, Rob became tense but smiled shortly before greeting the person who had walked in.

"Gino, my boy, you are missed," answered Rob, getting up from his spot before engulfing Gino in a hug. Returning the hug, Gino patted Rob lightly on the shoulder before pulling away from the embrace. Clearing his throat, Gino gestured to Valerio and then spoke.

"This is Valerio; he is..."

"You, Nick's boss. I've seen you a few times; the last time was when Nick met you in this room," Rob answered before Gino could finish the introduction.

Walking up to Rob, Valerio extended his hand out for a shake before saying, 

"I'm sorry for your loss; my condolence to you."

"Here, Rob, I know it's a bit late," said Gino, handing the boutique of flowers to Rob, who had grabbed them from Gino and placed them on the table nearby.

"Thank you to both of you; it has been challenging for all of us, especially Father; he had high expectations for Nick, as he was favoured over more than me.

"Gino gave a small smile before pulling out an envelope and a piece of paper from his pocket and handing it to Rob.

"What's this?"

"Resignation papers. I forgot to inform you that I will no longer be coming to work. Mr Valerio here had offered me a job; the night that he met your brother was to go over a few blueprints about a project. I was the one who designed the blueprints. Nick was the one that introduced us afterwards."

"No, Gino, this is too much. I can't take this," said Rob, putting the money back in the envelope and handing it back to Gino.

"Rob, please take it. It's the least I can do to pay you back all the times you have watched over me. I will never forget when you opened your doors to me that day. As payback, this amount is nearly not as enough as the kindness in your heart."

"I.."

"Please take it as a thank you from me for watching over Gino and for your brother's hard work and contribution to the company," said Valerio.

"I don't know what to say... other than thank you."Gino moved towards Rob and hugged the man while saying.

"No thanks needed." 

"Promise me the next time we meet, you must bring Grandma,"

"Hahaha, yes, it's a promise,"

A promise that might never be fulfilled, thought Gino