Chapter 38

Gino's body was becoming numb from all this sitting with his hands bound together, limiting his movements, just as he tried to find a comfortable position to lie down when the room door opened. Gino gave a glance towards the door before setting himself up.

Nick spoke as he placed the food tray next to Gino and a water bottle.

"Eat up; I will be back in an hour to take it away whether you eat or not."Just as Nick was about to leave the room again, Gino spoke.

"Does Rob know this side of you? Does he know what kind of human being you are? Does he know that his owned flesh and blood is evil, going as low as to kidnap someone for their gain?"

Nick was nearly at that door but stopped once he heard those questions being asked; turning around, Nick stomped toward Gino, grabbing him by the chin before speaking.

"You don't have the privilege to ask questions; you don't have a right to be asking about him," said Nick, releasing his hold on Gino.

"Before you said that Valerio took something precious from you, seeing as you are Cherry's mate, I assume you also know what she is."

Nick did not answer immediately but kept his gaze on Gino; the longer Nick stared at him, the more uncomfortable Gino felt.

"Funny, if you were not mated to him if we had met under different circumstances, I would love to devour your delicious body, but anyone involved with him instantly becomes a nuisance I must remove. Initially, I only wanted to see how far he would go to save you; that was why I had asked Tony to spike your drink, making your body crave the touch of men while it also lured every other male dragon around. But when he came to your rescue, it only reassured me what you are to him, his whore."

"Tony, you know Tony?"

"How could I not know my blood-related nephew."

"No.. that can't be," said Gino, his blood running cold.

"If your pathetic mother could save a dragon from his death, why is it impossible for you to be friends with my beloved niece and nephew? It was no coincidence that they met you at the restaurant where your life could have ended. I had Tony wait for you to finish you off, but luckily, a drunkard was willing to help."

"It was you. What did I do to make you resent me this much."

"I told you anyone involved with him I need to get rid of."

"But Cherry, she.."

"I know what she is. I was unprepared for what happened after finding out she was mated to me; she had rejected me when she realised what we were to each other. Despite knowing what she was, I could not risk killing the supposed person that mattered to me. It killed me every time she mentioned him, always comparing me to him as If I was not worth the dirt he walked on." said Nick

Gino looked at Nick, the very same man that he had gotten used to in the last couple of weeks, the man that always made him smile. Thinking back on those moments, the man had only tried to gain his trust from the beginning, not to make him suspect anything.

Nick looked at Gino before heading for the door, once again stopping when the other asked another question."Why.. why do you hate Valerio so much? What exactly did he do to make you disgusted with him."

"He is why my brother lost a mother, why my father gave me the task of taking revenge, the reason I was forced to train every day, throwing away my life so that I could become a better hunter.

That day, when my father led hunters to battle against the dragons, it was Valerio who killed my mother. I would not have known my mother's killer if I weren't hiding in a nearby bush. I was a coward. I watched as he took her last breath, her eyes finding mine.Valerio was gravely injured after the battle, but a pathetic woman saved him, the same woman that would give birth to his future mate."

Turning to face Gino, Nick looked him straight before speaking.

"Your parents' death was not an accident; if she did not receive the Dragons Gem from Valerio, she would not have died along with your father in that accident."

Resentment and shock were what Gino felt when he learned the truth of his parent's death. Tears streamed down Gino's face as he listened to Nick's words.

As if a powerful force had gathered up in his body, Gino rushed towards Nick, attacking the man as best as possible with his hands bound.

Nick received the attack on his body, not lifting a finger, as Gino used his bounds hands to hit him on his chest. Seconds passed when Nick grabbed Gino's bound hands before pulling the smaller male into a tight hug.

"If only you were not his, I would gladly reject my mate to be with you," said Nick, inhaling the other's scent.

Pulling away from Nick's embrace, Gino spoke through tears.

"Even if I were not his, I would never be with someone like you," stated Gino with hatred in his eyes.

Nick had been staring at Gino, hunger visible in his eyes; the next minute, he lifted Gino, carrying him bridal style towards the mattress.

"Put me down, don't touch me."

Nick turned a deaf ear to Gino's pleas as he had only one goal in his mind; the moment Nick made skin contact with Gino, the Dragon's Gem around Gino's neck glowed, releasing a powerful light, and an invisible force flung Nick to the side.

Getting up from the mattress, Gino took out the Dragon's Gem around his neck, the warm glow instantly calming him, making him feel like Valerio was in the room with him, protecting him.

"Valerio", whispered Gino, placing the necklace near his heart.

A few seconds passed, and a voice could be heard inside Gino's head, making him look left and right, assuring himself that he was not going crazy.

"Mama"

Shocked, Gino looked at the glowing light only to hear those words repeat themselves.

"Mama"

While Gino was confused about the voice inside his head, Nick groaned loudly from where he landed. The loud sound from his fall alerted Cherry as she rushed inside the room, only to see Nick trying to stand up.

"What happened? Why are you on the ground."

"Dragon Gem is in his hands."

Cherry looked to Gino to see the faint glow of the pendant. With a sneer, she spoke.

"He gave you his Dragon Gem. He was always reluctant to give it to me, but when it came to you, he just handed you his most powerful possession."

Cherry laughed hysterically as she left the room, leaving Nick to follow her.