Chapter 55

Taking only a small handbag with you, you slid into the drivers seat of the car. Normally you would take your bigger grey bag full of clothes and toiletries, ready for the next day, but you didn't want to stay over today. Well, you did want to stay, but your better judgement told you that spending the night with Mark would only make things harder.

Today was different. You could feel it. Something in the air was off, everything felt glum and grey. Even the sky had made itself known by twirling all the clouds into masses of dark ink. As though someone had put the white and black paint too close and they were starting to bleed into each other. Kind of fitting, you thought.

Driving to Mark's house was more painful than you thought, every time you put your foot on the gas your Every song that came on shuffle was all too accurate for the situation you had found yourself in, you skipped the first few but Spotify - being the lovely corporate business that it is - only let you do it a few times, no way you were paying for Premium. You were poor as Hell.

The song it stopped on was one of your favourites, 'was' being the prominent word in that sentence, now the gentle melody and the sweet vocals were being screwed up into a ball and melted until it turned into a repulsive ball of sugary mush that stared directly at you, waiting for you to stare back long enough to make you sick.

The happy lyrics made your stomach churn, you gripped the leather steering wheel tightly to stop your hands from shaking. You were less than fifteen minutes away from Mark's house, and you hadn't even figured out what you were going to say to him. You hadn't even figured out what you wanted. Your knuckles were starting to go white.

Well, you knew what you wanted, you just couldn't have it.

The song "These Days" filled the car, at first you were glad for the upbeat tempo and joyful rhythm. You tapped your fingers on the wheel in time to the music and nodded your head lightly. You wound down the window to let some air into the car, allowing some fresh oxygen into your lungs, and nodded your head to the catchy chorus.

You started to listen to the music in more detail, "We'll wish we could come back to these days" it made your heart hurt all the more. You were only a few moments away from Mark's house, for some reason your hands started to lightly shake as you turned into his road and your pulse increased rapidly.

You turned the engine off. Took off your seat belt, and got out of your car.

It felt like time was moving so slowly for you, like when you're running away from something in a dream and no matter how fast you move your legs, you don't to run any quicker. The words that Mr Kjellberg said floated around in your mind like leaves on the surface of a swimming pool during Fall, you couldn't ignore them and you knew he was right. And damn was it going to be hard to get them out.

You knocked on the front door, bag in hand.

Mark opened the door with a huge goofy grin on his face "Hey, you!" he smiled. Your heart sunk. "Hey" you said back, it sounded very flat and unconvincing.

He stepped aside and gestured for you to enter the house with his hand, you took him up on the offer and gingerly walked inside. Almost instantly, you heard the taps of claws running through the house. Out of instinct, you plopped your bag down on the floor next to you and crouched, waiting for impact. 

A huge ball of fluff ran around the corner, skidding on the wooden floor and stumbling a little bit. As soon as she saw you, her pace picked up until she leaped up to you, smacking her paws onto your shoulders. Your bag just about touched the floor before you were attacked. You ran your fingers through Chica's fur and ruffled her ears, "Hello beautiful lady, how are you today?" you smiled down at her. She stared at you with joy in her eyes and her tongue hanging out of her mouth.