Chapter 46

For once, you actually really concentrated during your lecture. Anything to try and keep your mind off of the mess that you had to deal with when you got back to your flat. Every now and then you would catch Mark staring at you out of the corner of your eye.

You swallowed hard, feeling how rough and dry your throat felt. Taking a sip of your half cold coffee, you glanced up at the clock, it was only 10:13am, you had over an hour and a half left.

"Right" you heard Mark shout "I think it's time for a break" he said, taking his glasses off and rubbing his eyes. You watched as everyone filed out of lecture theatre, you hesitated for a second but grabbed your backpack, deciding that you'd tip out the rest of your cold coffee and get a new one.

You'd hesitated enough that you were the last person in the room; however, before you were able to grab the cold silver handle you hear Mark call you behind him. A part of you didn't want to stay alone with him, you were too frightened you would slip up and say something you shouldn't.

"Y/N?" he called for you again, you let out a shaky breath and turned to face him, giving him a small smile. "Yeah?" you let out, surprisingly sounding more stable than you thought it would.

"Are you... okay?" he asked you, a small wrinkle in his forehead made an appearance, you curled your lips into a small smile to try and reassure him, "Yeah, I'm fine".

Mark rolled his eyes and shuffled in his spot, " Look, I'm not an idiot" he started, "I've lived long enough to know when something is wrong with a woman" he continued, "So, what's up?". You swallowed a large lump in your throat like a piece of food that was stuck as anxiety started to grow in your chest.

"I just feel ill" you lied, twiddling the strap of your backpack strap in your fingers, "Oh cut the bullshit" Mark raised his voice, taking you by surprise "Every single time you tell me that garbage, when are you going to start telling me the truth?" he was clearly irritated. All you could do was stare at him in stunned silence, you hadn't expected him to shout at you like this.

"I-" you started, not sure of what to say "I have to go" you quickly said and reached for the door, "No, no, no!" Mark growled, taking a large step to block your path to the door, "You're going to tell me exactly what's going on with you" he commanded. You could feel tears starting to fill your waterlines, you felt so pathetic for nearly crying over something as simple as him raising his voice at you, but you blamed it on lack of sleep.

"You don't understand how much you make me worry" he said, calming down a little at the obvious upset on your face. "I'm sorry" you whispered to him, not really sure what else to say to him, you couldn't possibly tell him - not like this. 

He moved towards you slowly, "I never want to upset you, I'm sorry I lost my temper" he lowered his voice, glancing over his shoulder at the door, and then placing you softly in his arms. The feeling of his body heat started to radiate through your clothes and sooth you, the feeling of his embrace making all your anxiety leave your body. Your breathing slowed.

"It's okay" you murmured, "I really do need to go" you repeated, you needed to get this thing over with, you couldn't stay in limbo any longer. You needed to know. Hearing Mark grumble, you quickly added "I'm only going home, come over when you're done with class and we can talk". As soon as you finished talking, you let your gaze shift to his face, he looked terrified.

"Do you.." he stopped for a moment to breathe "Do you not want to be with me anymore?" he croaked, his words getting caught in his throat, "God no!" you shouted, "I mean, yes I want to be with you" you corrected yourself, you felt him relax a bit.

"I just can't talk about this right now, not here" you said, gesturing to the lecture hall with your head and giving him a small smile. As though he had just realised where he was, he let go of you and took a step back, "Of course" he muttered, returning your smile. 

"I'll see you later" he nodded, "I'll see you later" you echoed.

You moved around him, him turning on the spot to watch as though it was the last time he would see you. Tugging the door open, you left the room.

The walk back was agonising, it had begun to rain but it was that fine rain that barely cuts through the air, just about making the oxygen feel damp as it slithers down your oesophagus, making it's presence known. What a fitting climate for a fitting situation.

You found it easier to get back to your apartment, the last couple of months you had really started to make a recovery in terms of your leg. Making it almost up every flight of stairs with little to no pain. Although, it felt like old problems were just being replaced with new ones. 

Pushing your key into it's slot in your apartment door, you felt it give way and move forward. It was unlocked.

Hesitantly, you placed your hand on the body of the wood, only using the slightest of pressure to open it and listening out for any type of movement. You heard clinks and shuffles, followed by loud bangs and a few grunts. Someone was definitely inside, and they were making no attempt to hide it.

You moved your key in between your fingers and entered your apartment, feeling like a dollar-store Wolverine. Ready to attack if need be.

Following the sounds to your kitchen you almost dropped your make-shift weapon when you saw who was currently standing on the counter, trying to reach the very top shelf.