Chapter 50

"Come on" he said, standing up and extending his hand to you, you looked down at his hand and then back up to his face, "Come on!" he repeated, this time slightly firmer. Instinctively you placed your hand in his and let him help you up.

He reached over to your desk and picked up the test, you gave him a questioning look, knowing that you hadn't told him it was there, nor told him that you had already gotten a test before telling him, your face must have already asked the questions that you were thinking because he said with a cheeky smile "I saw it when I hugged you".

"You know, if you want to hide a pregnancy scare, then it's probably best that you don't leave a test on your desk" he winked, even though you cringed at the word 'pregnancy'.

You wished you could have the same humour as him, laughing in the face of something so scary like this.

It must have taken at least 10 minutes for you to pluck up the courage to actually do the test, Mark waited patiently outside the bathroom, when you finally emerged you just handed him the small stick. "I can't look, what does it say?" you said, looking away from Mark and walking into the kitchen.

You needed something to settle your stomach, ironic considering you'd spent the last couple of days throwing up everything that you ate.

"I don't want your pee stick" Mark shouted from the other room dramatically. You shook your head in amusement while reaching for some cereal.

Pouring the cornflakes into a ceramic bowl felt like more of a challenge than you would think it would be, but that may have been down to the continuous tremors that rocketed through your hands and arms.

The packet said to wait two minutes and then check the actual stick, you thought to yourself. But two minutes felt like took long.

You took out your phone and set a timer.

Mark snaked his arms around your waist, causing you to jump and spill some flakes. "It's going to be okay" he purred into your ear, leaving a small kiss on your neck. "I'm sure everything will be fine" he reassured you.

Somehow, you believed him. You were panicking so much on your own that you forgot how much you liked his company. He placed his hand over yours that was pouring the cereal, "I think you have enough" he chuckled. You had been so lost in thought that you'd created a mountain of cornflakes.

"Shit!" You exclaimed and put the now empty cardboard box down on the side, attempting to scoop the cornflakes up and put them back into the box. "Eww!" Mark whined, "They've been on the dirty counter". "First of all Mister" you started, "I'm a student, I need all the help with money I can get!" You paused for a moment "And my counter isn't dirty" you muttered.

"Sure it isn't" mark chuckled again, that goddamn throaty laugh he did would be the end of you.

A loud noise almost jet-propelled your spirit out of your body, sending the cornflakes all over the floor. Panicked, you grabbed your phone out of your back pocket and stopped the timer, sighing a breath of relief that you weren't dying.

Although that breath of relief was quickly replaced with a deep thump in your stomach, that old friend anxiety.

"That means it's ready" you said, looking up at Mark for  reassurance. He put his hand on your shoulder and rubbed his thumb on your trembling skin, "I'm right here" he smiled at you.

Putting one foot in front of the other, you made your way down the corridor and to the bathroom, where you'd presumed that Mark left the test.

There it was, sure enough, rested daringly on the edge of the sink.

You used your thumb and forefinger to pick up the delicate plastic, you could feel your heart beat in your ears.

Mark had put the test down the wrong way up, so you carefully turned it in your fingers, trying desperately to make time move faster and to avoid the little droplets of your urine still present on the tab.

As soon as it was fully over, you glanced onto the little screen.

"What?" You exclaimed.

You could hear the noise of Mark's footprints hitting the wooden floor of your apartment, he'd come running in an instant. Like he said he would. He was by your side with in moments.

He peered over your shoulder and at the test.

"That's good isn't it?" He asked, a little bit confused.

"Negative" you whispered, looking back at the small words on the screen. "Yes that's good" you started, but then what the hell is wrong with me?"