Chapter 31

"Don't be ridiculous!" Mark barked at her, a slight laugh to his voice. He was good at keeping his cool when he needed to.

You on the other hand, your heart was beating at light speed, you could feel it hitting your rib rage and threatening to burst through your chest; landing on the floor in front of you.

To say you were scared was an understatement.

"Oh really, you're going to play that card?" She shouted back, you hadn't seen her this angry in years.

"I wonder what the student committee would think of this" she threatened, raising one eyebrow and folding her arms.

Mark smiled, for a split second and said "I am the student committee".

The people at the door watched in awe like a crowd at a tennis match. They waited for Nova's response.

A couple of them looked at you, some in disgust, some with jealousy and a few with admiration.

You had to do something but you couldn't tell what, if you intervened then it would seem like you're being too defensive and they would know it was true; if you said nothing then they would still think it's true.

"The only reason she's doing so well is because you're fucking her!" She screamed, pointing at you. Her face was becoming a bright scarlet.

"Nancy, that isn't appropriate" he said calmly, he was winning. "Y/N does well because she turns up to lesson and gets her work done" he continued.

"Don't call me Nancy!" She hollered and threw her fist towards his face. It only slightly made contact with his cheek but he didn't seem bothered.

As her fist moved past him he grabbed her arm and stabilised her so she couldn't hit him anymore.

"Get out of my classroom" he said bluntly, pushing her gently towards the door.

"The head will hear about this!" She yelled back as she walked out of the door.

"Jealousy is such a terrible thing" he remarked and a couple of class members chuckled.

The people at the door began to sit down in their seats, they were talking amongst themselves as they did.

"First and foremost" Mark started, closing the classroom door. "If I hear any fabricated rumours going around about what was just said, I will be very disappointed" he spoke so calmly.

His gaze drifted over every persons face in that room, he made eye contact with all of them as though he was hypnotising them.

"Needless to say none of what Nancy said was true, I hope you all have the common sense to see that" he said as his eyes stopped on you.

Something about his chocolate brown eyes told you it was going to be okay.

The lesson continued as normal after that, no one said a word about it and it all seemed forgotten.

The bell rang to say that class was over and everyone began to pack up their stuff, it was Friday after all.

You thought about going home to Nova, what would be awaiting you when you walked through that door.

You allowed yourself to drift off into thought, not moving.

"Are you okay?" You heard Mark's voice say.

You snapped out of your daydream to look at him, he'd already packed your bag and put it over his shoulder.

"I'm just dreading going home" you admitted, you looked down at your hands that you were twiddling in your lap.

There was only a couple of stragglers left in the class and they were basically out the door.

"I don't think it's good for you to go back there, with her" he snarled at the mention of her.

You shuffled yourself so you were at the end of the chair, putting your hand into your crutch, you lifted yourself up.

It wasn't until you looked up that you saw that Mark had put his hand out for you to take.

You smiled weakly at him as if to say thank you.

Mark glanced to the door to check that everyone was out of the room but the two of you.

"Do you want to stay at mine tonight?" He whispered, smiling at you.

"Don't you think that's a bit risky?" you whispered even quieter than he did, "Not if no one finds out" he smirked.