Chapter 18

You had walked to your normal spot where you and Nova would sit and complain about everything.

But Nova wasn't here. You were alone.

You replayed the whole situation in your head, the look on that bitches face when he accepted her number made your insides boil.

Then you remembered his facial expression; annoyed and regretful.

Also his face when you walked out, he was upset and hurt.

Oh god, I'm such a bitch.

You put your head into your hands and thought for a while.

You picked up all your stuff and walked through the empty hall ways, the bell had long since gone but better late than never.

As you pushed the classroom door open everyone stared at you, including Mark. For a second his eyes brightened but then dimmed when he saw the upset on your face.

'Sorry I'm late, I had stuff to sort out' you said flatly while you walked to your chair, Mark continued to gesture towards the PowerPoint that was on the board but you couldn't hear what he was saying, it felt like you were underwater.

You let your eyes drape over him, your heart thumping louder and harder at every tiny detail of him. The way he shuffled his feet from side to side as he spoke and the way his hair was still ruffled from your hands being in it.

You smiled sadly at the last part, the real reason you had gotten so upset was because you didn't just want to be a sexual object to him. Then the realisation hit you, you actually liked him, no matter how hard you tried to convince yourself otherwise, you liked him.

It was obvious now that you thought about it, you liked that stupid deep laugh he does at the same time as speaking and his funny facial expressions when he trips on his words more than what he looked like without a top on.

Again he handed out assignments on paper for you all to do, but unlike normal he tossed yours onto your desk instead of handing it to you. You missed his touch already.

It was Friday too, so you'd have to wait another two days until you even got to see him again, if he wanted to see you again.

You were so lost in thought that you hadn't even realised that the rest of the class was getting on with their work and you had just been staring at the page.

'Does anyone need any help?' Mark's voice echoed through the classroom, you looked up to see him scanning the room for any hands, you found yourself doing the same. No hand went up but he was still looking.

It's now or never.

Almost in slow motion his eyes connected with yours as your hand started to rise into the empty space above you, for a moment he was shocked but then he took his hands out of his pockets and walked over to your seat.

He crouched down in front of your desk and hesitantly said 'Yes?', you avoided eye contact with him and he did the same to you.

'Um, I was kind of lost in thought' you explained at a whisper 'What are we doing?' you dared to ask, you looked at his face this time trying to brave any eye contact that meant you could tell him that you knew you were wrong.

'You were daydreaming in my class?' he asked, trying to be annoyed but you knew he wasn't, you could read him so well.

'Yeah, you see something happened with this guy, and now I think he hates me' you muttered, not really sure whether he heard you or not but when his eyes drifted upwards to meet yours you knew he had.

'You can all listen to music while doing this if you want' he shouted out to the class while standing, for a moment you thought he was going to walk away but he didn't, he just sat down in the chair next to you.

He finally spoke after he had checked that everyone in the class had either put headphones or earbuds in.

'I'm sure he doesn't hate you' he said, pulling the paper towards him to pretend that he was talking about the assignment to you, 'No one could hate you' he continued still looking down at the paper.

'But I was an arsehole, even if he did wind me up and technically say that he's only interested in me sexually' you took a dig at him, that's when he looked up at you.

'Maybe you could realise how much this guy is putting on the line for you before you paint him as such a bad person' he bit at you, you could tell he really was hurt at your comment. If you could go back in time and not say that, you would.

'I've realised a lot in the past half an hour but that wasn't one of them, I know I've been selfish' you said regretfully. He was right, he was putting his job and reputation in danger for you.

'That's how you lose people' he coldly said as he stood up and walked back over to his desk before you could say anything.

You just stared at him as he graded papers and looked around the small lecture theatre, he looked everywhere but at you.

Eventually the bell went, you didn't know if you were happy or sad. You were happy because you didn't have to see the disappointment in his face anymore and you were sad because you didn't want to be away from him.

Everyone got up out of their seats, you slowly packed up your stuff and watched him do the same.

You shuffled towards the door painfully, waiting for him to ask you to stay behind like he normally did. Maybe he didn't see that you were leaving with everyone else?

He looked up, made eye contact with you and stopped, you could tell he was thinking. You stopped walking too, watching him, hoping. 

Your heart dropped when he just continued to pack his things, you blinked back what had just happened and continued out of the door, without a peep from Mark.